Forum Register Members Casino Live Posting Feed Garage Arcade Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   The Chicago Garage > The Garage > Automotive Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bru
  • 1 Post By aj8gtp

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
 
N20GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Crown point, IN
Posts: 45,117
Casino cash: $126662389
9.78 per day
Default I want to buy a TDI Jetta or Passat

Realistically, what's the worst that can happen? Indiana doesn't test diesel emissions

The Jettas don't have a DEF system so i'd think they'll be part of the buy-back, but i'd rather buy one from a dealer on the cheap and keep it. There are still many listed for sale

or i could buy a Passat. The way i see it is this is a great way to get a reliable, low mile DD for cheap. IMO long term, values will go up because supply will be limited, but even if they don't i would not care

Discuss
__________________
N20GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:48 AM   #2
Mrrrrstang.
 
Dasfinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 20,375
Casino cash: $44967559
4.82 per day
Default

At this instant in time, I would not touch a diesel VW product with a 10 foot pole. There is still just no telling what is going to happen in the coming weeks/months with them.

Like I suggest to every friend and relative, If you want a reliable DD Sedan, buy something that ends in amry, or cord.
__________________
TOO MANY VEHICLES; 17 Mini Clubman ALL4 S, 13 Mustang GT Premium Vert', 05 Suburban, 99 Ranger (V8 Swap Project), 1998 Jeep Cherokee, 2004 Yamaha Vino 125
Dasfinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
 
RICH17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The 007
Posts: 25,512
Casino cash: $110228144
6.69 per day
Default

I'd buy one when the prices tank
RICH17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
BITE BITE, SIP SIP
 
The Broken Regal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wheaton
Posts: 14,710
Casino cash: $18126850
3.41 per day
Default

This whole scandal aside, i love my 13 jetta tdi, loaded except for navi

I drove 10 cars in the segment to compare, I get a rental car almost every week for work as I travel and have probably had 30+ other different models

besides a bmw or mercedes costing tens of thousnds more, this was the best driving car on the highway that I've ever driven bar none

This gas mileage is insane, and the scandal just proved that. Besides the last few tanks as I live in the city and just plain stop bumper to bumper traffic, every tank in the other 40k miles I put on the car was 40mpg+

Peppy around town and plenty of power on the highway despite a lower horsepower rating, huge torque numbers... and I didn't even think to get it tuned which yields more.

I have no idea whats going to happen especially now with the agreement reached, up until the last moments of this I wanted to buy the car outright, now I'd let this all settle and if you can find one without recall work done, whatever that works out to be, I'd jump on one... heck you can get it in manual too lol
The Broken Regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #5
 
Primalzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 25,261
Casino cash: $70927108
5.49 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasfinc View Post
At this instant in time, I would not touch a diesel VW product with a 10 foot pole. There is still just no telling what is going to happen in the coming weeks/months with them.

Like I suggest to every friend and relative, If you want a reliable DD Sedan, buy something that ends in amry, or cord.
The Japanese automakers reliability has taken a huge dive after 2008 market crash and 2011 tsunami...Mid-2000's, yeah I'd agree with you, but not anymore...The American automakers make a hell of a good reliable vehicle though now
Primalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #6
Bru
Super Moderator
 
Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 36,652
Casino cash: $2147483647
8.42 per day
Default

Who knows how aggressive the EPA will be in forcing these vehicles off the road or to get fixed. They could place a hold on registration so you can't register the vehicle or update plates until the fix is done. There hasn't been any hint at that, but it's something to consider.
Yaj Yak likes this.
__________________
Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
Mrrrrstang.
 
Dasfinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 20,375
Casino cash: $44967559
4.82 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primalzer View Post
The Japanese automakers reliability has taken a huge dive after 2008 market crash and 2011 tsunami...Mid-2000's, yeah I'd agree with you, but not anymore...The American automakers make a hell of a good reliable vehicle though now
Camry and Accords are both made State-Side and have been for quite some time, I don't think the market crash or the tsunami would have an immediate impact on the quality of their goods?

I feel its definitely pushed Honda/Toyota/Nissan into 'playing it safe' for the past few years. The corolla speaks loudly to that as its the SAME car as its always been under the sheet metal since 2003. I don't feel that makes it any less reliable? Maybe not revolutionary, and maybe falling behind its competition in some regards, but definitely no less reliable or economical.

The new Civic is VERY sharp, and the introduction of the 1.5T motor shows Honda starting back in the right direction, Toyota dropping Scion is showing a re-focus on core brand, and Nissan is refreshing its entire lineup it seems moving to their 'corporate' design language (Again, this is just my take on these brands, but none of these things would take away from the quality of their products?)
Dasfinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #8
 
Primalzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 25,261
Casino cash: $70927108
5.49 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasfinc View Post
Camry and Accords are both made State-Side and have been for quite some time, I don't think the market crash or the tsunami would have an immediate impact on the quality of their goods?

I feel its definitely pushed Honda/Toyota/Nissan into 'playing it safe' for the past few years. The corolla speaks loudly to that as its the SAME car as its always been under the sheet metal since 2003. I don't feel that makes it any less reliable? Maybe not revolutionary, and maybe falling behind its competition in some regards, but definitely no less reliable or economical.

The new Civic is VERY sharp, and the introduction of the 1.5T motor shows Honda starting back in the right direction, Toyota dropping Scion is showing a re-focus on core brand, and Nissan is refreshing its entire lineup it seems moving to their 'corporate' design language (Again, this is just my take on these brands, but none of these things would take away from the quality of their products?)
The are not "made" stateside, they are assembled stateside. Many of the parts and components are produced in Japan still.
Primalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #9
Mrrrrstang.
 
Dasfinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 20,375
Casino cash: $44967559
4.82 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primalzer View Post
The are not "made" stateside, they are assembled stateside. Many of the parts and components are produced in Japan still.
So yes, they are Assembled State-Side

But I still don't feel there has been a 'decline' in quality, Lots of friends and family own newer model Accords/Camrys and the like, and none of sung anything but praise, I just feel that nothing they have built has been exceptional or special during that time.
Dasfinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
 
aj8gtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 71
Casino cash: $9046200
0.03 per day
Default

why not a chevy cruze td? just a thought
Primalzer likes this.
aj8gtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #11
 
Primalzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 25,261
Casino cash: $70927108
5.49 per day
Default

They are readily available, stupid cheap, extremely efficient, and well made just wish they came with a manual transmission
Primalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #12
This is my safe space
 
OffshoreDrilling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 28,816
Casino cash: $125575000
6.77 per day
Default

and didn't have a Chevy badge on them
__________________
I recently had a sex change and bought a 10 Prius.

OffshoreDrilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #13
 
Primalzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 25,261
Casino cash: $70927108
5.49 per day
Default

good point...I rode in one about a year ago, and I was quite surprised by how good it was, especially for being "just a Chevy"
Primalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:42 PM   #14
eat my flesh
 
DEEZUZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NWI
Posts: 40,998
Casino cash: $77533001
10.77 per day
Default

I don't see you doing a belt every 30k so I vote no
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.bu View Post
I had a girl like that once. Everytime I put my hand down her pants, it felt like feeding oats to a horse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
THIS IS TCG, DOES IT LOOK LIKE WE CARE WHAT IT COSTS!??!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood on Blood View Post
Definitely colder outside than the venom that pumps through my wife's veins.


DEEZUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:43 PM   #15
 
Primalzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 25,261
Casino cash: $70927108
5.49 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC DEEZUL View Post
I don't see you doing a belt every 30k so I vote no
??
Primalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #16
BITE BITE, SIP SIP
 
The Broken Regal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wheaton
Posts: 14,710
Casino cash: $18126850
3.41 per day
Default

Just did a 400 mile trip to Indy and back, 42.x mpg manual calc doing 80+ with the a/c on and some chicago city driving this morning

45k and still the same
The Broken Regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.6 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
no new posts