LED headlights?

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
Anyone here have LED headlights? Looking to get some better light output out of my daily and considering going LED. I've tried better bulbs, but they still aren't great. I did a HID retro fit projector in my Camaro and love the results, but it's expensive and will be a pita to do on my daily as the computer doesn't like you doing it. So I am wondering if a simple LED bulb replacement will fit my needs. Haven't seen anything that suggests you need any projector housing for a LED bulb as you do when you HID the proper way. Looking for any experiences. Thanks!

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
I've had OPT7 LEDs in my low beams for 5 months and I love them. Not nearly as blinding as HIDs, instant on, none of the problems of HIDs.

Now before anyone says you shouldn't put those lights in non projector housing I can attest to them not being nearly as blinding as HIDs. I've been oncoming traffic and the car in front of my own truck and they didn't bother me a bit.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
LED bulbs ftw...

OE headlights
cdJ3YsCh.jpg

LED drop ins
Q67R3IOh.jpg

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
I've had OPT7 LEDs in my low beams for 5 months and I love them. Not nearly as blinding as HIDs, instant on, none of the problems of HIDs.

Now before anyone says you shouldn't put those lights in non projector housing I can attest to them not being nearly as blinding as HIDs. I've been oncoming traffic and the car in front of my own truck and they didn't bother me a bit.

IIRC you're driving a newer silverado right??? Post some pics with those leds, I've been thinking of leds or hids

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I am going to do more research on the LED for headlights on the frontier forum etc.

i had Phillips Crystal vision fog light bulbs, the OPT7 LED 6k Fog lights appear to provide the same amount of brightness and the PCV. The OPT7 6k fogs have a slightly more blue hue to them over the PCV.

:io:

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
nice, still using drls??? do your headlights have dust caps and have you experienced any over heating issues?

Pulled the fuse for drl's, no dust caps, no overheating even with the LED fan right near the air box on the passenger side, headlight housing doesn't get hot, no heat damage to the housing or reflector, no flickering, ZERO problems since July when I put them in and they don't dim when I'm blasting the stereo.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
For what its worth these are what I got in the lows. OPT7 Fluxbeam LED Headlight - Opt-7

I haven't done the high beams yet but I'll get around to it, and the fogs are just shitty $30 "projectors" I got to match the lows. The fogs are terrible but that has a lot to do with the 5202 bulb style and the fog light housings themselves, I've found factory style housings that take an 880 bulb but I'm dragging my feet on getting them as well as the high beam LEDs.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
For anyone installing LED bulbs in confined spaces (like where wiring might be touching) you're better off getting the fan style bulbs over the cloth heat-sink style. I've had friends and have seen a few posts on other forums where the copper cloth heat-sink will melt thru whatever it's resting on/touching. Granted the heat-sink on the fan styles get warm but I've had my fingers on the heat-sinks on mine (fan style) within seconds of turning them off after being on for 45 minutes and they weren't that hot. If they're made correctly the fan only assists in cooling the sinks, they'll still cool without the fan but not nearly as effectively. Stay away from this style for tight fits https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...14ro4feWl3jwvOYiSEoM0QgR3GyhnbPIQ8aAp458P8HAQ

Also the CREE style bulbs are just garbage for low and high beams, don't waste your money on them for anything but fog lights. In low beam applications the light output and pattern is awful. http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/5202-9009/10-led-drl-fog-light-bulbs-5202-1-pair-2966.html

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
For anyone installing LED bulbs in confined spaces (like where wiring might be touching) you're better off getting the fan style bulbs over the cloth heat-sink style. I've had friends and have seen a few posts on other forums where the copper cloth heat-sink will melt thru whatever it's resting on/touching. Granted the heat-sink on the fan styles get warm but I've had my fingers on the heat-sinks on mine (fan style) within seconds of turning them off after being on for 45 minutes and they weren't that hot. If they're made correctly the fan only assists in cooling the sinks, they'll still cool without the fan but not nearly as effectively. Stay away from this style for tight fits https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...14ro4feWl3jwvOYiSEoM0QgR3GyhnbPIQ8aAp458P8HAQ

Also the CREE style bulbs are just garbage for low and high beams, don't waste your money on them for anything but fog lights. In low beam applications the light output and pattern is awful. 5202 10 XB LED DRL/FOG LIGHT BULBS 2007-13 | 1 PAIR - 5202 9009 - Shop Bulb #

You say stay away from Cree style bulbs, but that's all I can find. My car takes a H11 bulb. The link you posted has a Cree bulb :

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...h-built-in-fan/2115/4803/#/tab/Specifications

And the link I posted at the top says it's a 2x cree high power.

So does that mean I'm SOL?

The link I posted says its 3000 lumen with a 5k range and the site you lead me to says 2250 lumen with a 6700 heat range.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Sorry I meant the CREE "projector" bulbs like the 5202 style I posted (CREE is the type of LED). That little glass dome doesn't do shit in a headlight housing and smaller LEDs have a shitty light pattern. The OPT7 LEDs I have are H11 and the reason I went with that brand is because of the smaller size driver that's almost the size of the terminal plugs. I didn't want to deal with the bigger HID style driver (igniter) and from all the reviews I've read the OPT7's seemed to be well liked. I've got no complaints.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info