YouTube GT350 vs Z/28 Motortrend video

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
That's a sweet video. I was really digging the side by side video of them going around the track.

You had to expect the GT350R to win though.

Oh totally. The Z was gimped with the original 5th gen interior from 2010. Green screen dash and radio and NO comforts at all. Now we have the 350R with all the newest tech and its only 2 years newer than the Z. Thats too bad, those Zs are going to be affordable come next year too. Still don't want one.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I thought the DSSV dampers, tires, and suspension goodies would have kept the Z28 in front.

But I guess not. The chassis is old afterall.

I guess this is just more ammo for GM to fire back with a 6th Gen Z28 then. 200lbs lighter, if not more. But hopefully the figure out this overheating crap with the LT4.

That engine should have been FLOGGED TO DEATH during the testing of the Z06. If there was even a hint of over-heating they should have addressed it.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
You get more for your money with the 2015 Z/28. I love the engine in that car. A lot of Chevy dealerships have lowered the price on those cars too

I love the new Gt350 R. But they're way overpriced. Imo

pretty sure a loaded gt350r is less than the 75k gm wanted for a z28 (obvoiusly less now since they pulled the old viper slash the msrp stunt)

i thought the z28 was way over priced from day 1 the gt350r with quite possibly the baddest domestic na v8 ever ummm not so much..... :dunno:

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Well GT350R wins everything. I think the standard GT350 with Magnetic ride would be slower than the Z/28.

Gotta wonder how much those Carbon Fiber rims are worth in terms of acceleration and handling.

I'm not upset the GT350R won, I didn't think it would, but thats progress. Now GM has some motivation to fireback with a 6th gen Z28.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Gotta wonder how much those Carbon Fiber rims are worth in terms of acceleration and handling.

I'm not upset the GT350R won, I didn't think it would, but thats progress. Now GM has some motivation to fireback with a 6th gen Z28.

Those wheels are a big help. Easier for the suspension to control them, easier for the axles to turn them, steering will be easier and quicker and so on. I have heard many people say things like 'do not drive the R model before the non-R models." Because it really does perform better.

I wish weight was something this video addressed. Because I can see the large touch screen in the GT350R. Which means it had the tech pack option as well as the track and R pieces. So that was a car that probably weighs as much as a R model could. What about the Z/28? What options did it have? Did it have A/C and other parts that could make it heavier? Or was this a case of a light weight Z/28 versus a heavier optioned GT350R? If that is the case the margin could have been slightly bigger on the road course. Which I think is very interesting.

I think it is great that Ford has finally given the Mustang brakes, suspension and ability to handle well as it's counter parts. The GT was doing well until the 2016 Camaro came out. So it will be interesting to see what Ford can do to even the playing field more.

Now if only Dodge could get in the game. :io:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info