This would have saved me a 1,000 bucks v. Auto-Brakes

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
10 car companies make automatic brakes standard - Sep. 11, 2015

Ten major car makers have agreed to make automatic braking technology a standard feature on all their vehicles.

These systems use radar, laser or cameras to sense an impending collision and automatically apply the brakes to prevent a crash or at least lessen its severity.

Audi, BMW, Ford (F), General Motors (GM), Mazda, Mercedes-Benz (DDAIY), Tesla (TSLA), Toyota (TM), Volkswagen (VLKAF) and Volvo will make this kind of technology available as standard equipment in all car, truck and SUV models they sell.

It's currently available, either as an option or as standard equipment, on mostly luxury cars and higher-end models. Combined, the manufacturers account for over half the new vehicles sold in the United States.

The announcement was made Friday by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the private Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, an auto safety group financed by the insurance industry. The automakers are working with the agencies on a timeline for when the technology will be made standard on all models.

"Most crashes involve driver error," IIHS President Adrian Lund said. "This technology can compensate for the mistakes every driver makes because the systems are always on alert, monitoring the road ahead and never getting tired or distracted."

The technology is most effective at preventing rear-end collisions, an extremely common type of crash, that, in 2012, caused 1,700 deaths and 500,000 injuries, according to government statistics.
In June, the National Transportation Safety Board, a separate government agency, recommended that the automatic braking systems be made required on all new cars.
AEB systems can reduce auto insurance injury claims by as much as 35%, according IIHS research.

Electronic stability control, a system that uses computers to help drivers maintain control during skids, has been required on all new cars since the 2012 model year.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
If it helps stop idiots from having crashes in the morning and slowing down my route to work im all for it.

:werd:

I trust myself...because I pay attention...but most people don't drive 40k+ miles a year or change routes enough to not just daze off and then they pay attention to their phone before the road.....and boom!

I'm all for automated systems. Just make sure they program them to stay in the fucking right lane :rofl:

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
radar detectors are obsolete as far as I'm concerned. you're going to get lasered and the cops got your speed before your detector even beeps

Not quite, not all cops use laser. I do plenty of driving and see most suburban cops are still using Ka band. The ISP uses both LIDAR and Ka band. All of all these nanny systems use K band, and as much as I'd love to disable K band, it is still in use too.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
You get used to it. I have it in the BMW and it really isn't invasive at all. On rare occasion I might be too close to a car and know it and it will panic and start beeping at me but it really doesn't hit the brakes hard until you're in an oh fuck type of situation. Like yesterday, someone darted into my lane and it stabbed the brakes. I would have likely reacted fine but it reacted just as well and will do so 100% of the time. On the BMW it's also disabled if you're foot is on the gas.

I for one welcome our new cyber underlords.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I have the camera based system on my Volt. It works pretty damn good and you can change the distance to where it will start alerting you or shut it off completely. As a plus side it also alerts me if I drift out of my lane and the new generation volt will even auto correct your steering sort of like autopilot on tesla (not as advanced of course, but you can buy 3 volts for the price of a tesla so what do you expect)

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
radar detectors are obsolete as far as I'm concerned. you're going to get lasered and the cops got your speed before your detector even beeps

Not quite, not all cops use laser. I do plenty of driving and see most suburban cops are still using Ka band. The ISP uses both LIDAR and Ka band. All of all these nanny systems use K band, and as much as I'd love to disable K band, it is still in use too.

this.

out these ways, Ka & K band only out these ways and it saves the fuck out of me so often.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info