Bank/Credit Union with Best rates

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
My girlfriend just bought a new car and now we're shopping rates. She is doing it as an 84 month loan to keep the payment manageable and plans to pay it down when she has extra money or with her tax return (at least $2k to the loan every April). That said, her credit isn't great and we currently have a 4.2% rate on the table from Dodge that we're trying to beat. Any suggestions on where to look is appreciated.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Why not buy something less expensive? Interest rates for that long of the loan are going to seriously raise the overall cost, which is what she should be looking at for budgeting instead of monthly payment numbers. And typically, the longer the loan the higher the interest rate.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Why not buy something less expensive? Interest rates for that long of the loan are going to seriously raise the overall cost, which is what she should be looking at for budgeting instead of monthly payment numbers. And typically, the longer the loan the higher the interest rate.

if an 84 month loan is needed to buy it and the credit isn't there to get a better rate, time to reevaluate priorities. Plenty of great cars out there for $10k or less that can be financed for a shorter period of time at a low payment

qft

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove

Trust me, I get all of this, but she wants what she wants LOL. She doesn't have a ton of debt now so I can easily see her paying it off early regardless of the tax return. As of now, with the rates as they are she is paying around $4k in interest. With her current plan she'll be paying it off in 5 years.

Her credit score isn't the greatest so I'm sure this is hurting her somewhat. I'm not co-signing on it so it is what it is.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
i think you guys are getting a lil off track here...

options have been offered and he has already checked them. Time to start looking beyond saving half a percent of interest.

it's easy to say you'll put the tax return money toward it and even easier to not do it.

this is the internets, where everyone gets to pitch in their $.02

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
i think you guys are getting a lil off track here...

I get it, I'd probably say the same stuff. She traded her car in that was paid for because she wasn't getting any help from Honda. Supposedly there was a recall for the V6 burning oil and them swapping in a new short block. It is burning oil and they're giving her the run around about it still. Her warranty is about to expire and she had her old car for over 6 years and wants new. She can afford the payment as-is or even at 60 or 72 months but would rather have the safety new of a lower payment. Like I said, she'll be paying extra towards it and putting a nice amount of her tax return towards it as well.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
options have been offered and he has already checked them. Time to start looking beyond saving half a percent of interest.

it's easy to say you'll put the tax return money toward it and even easier to not do it.

this is the internets, where everyone gets to pitch in their $.02

She'll definitely put the tax return towards it; I'm not worried about that.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Good luck but I wouldn't expect a very low interest rate with that kind of term. Have her apply online for a 60-month loan with Chase and see where it lies, which is a good indicator of how her interest rate will stack up because it's a more common loan term. They can go as low as 2% with good credit for 60 months. They get back to you in a day and it's only a pre-approval so you can let it expire.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info