GMC 1953 Pickup. What do I need to know? Any problems to look for?

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
So my buddy wants to look at this truck later today. He's not mechanically inclined and as scary as it sounds, I'm his best option for someone to look it over before he buys it. He wants a cruiser that he can learn how to work on it. He doesn't care about period correct things and it wouldn't be a show car. Just something He can drive his old lady and army of pug dogs around in. It runs and drives according to the dealership and from what little research i've done it appears that stock these should have a straight 6 but looks like a small block. I'm guessing if it has a different motor then the trans is probably a th350 or th400.

1953 GMC No Model Naperville IL 9836989

image-2.jpg

I'm guessing it's a small block chevy. Not too familiar with older motors
image-12.jpg

What should I look for, what is something like this worth, and what the hell is that on the shifter column? :rofl:

image-23.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Look for rust, see if the trans pan is shaped sorta like Illinois (400) or if it's a square with a corner clipped off (350) or more of a rectangle if its a 700r4 4 speed auto. it does look like it is a small block Chevy and that thing on the steering column is a retrofit for turn signals you can find them in the back of JC Whitney catalog or Hemmings Motor News

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Thanks guys, wasn't sure if that was some sort of manual trans lever for a MVB auto or something. It would make more sense that it's the turn signal stalk. :rofl:

I'll give it a look over for rust and such. I'd imagine there will be some as it looks ruff around the edges. That's not so bad because that's how I'd describe my buddy thats looking to buy it. He doesn't mind character traits. I just don't want him to buy it if the frame is rusted through some parts and ready to snap at any moment. I'll probably be spending some time wrenching on this thing so I'm kinda glad it has a small block instead of the original straight 6 since there are tons of parts and information out there. I'll see if I can get the dealership to put it on a lift so I can look at it closer.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Look closely as the frame rails near the rear wheel wells, and by the doors it's a common area for rot.

I would take a close look at the electrical, a buddy has restored several of these old pickups and they are always a wiring nightmare.

These era trucks are about as easy as it gets to restore or customize. There are still quite a few laying around but most are rotting away in a field. The most valuable parts are the trim and grill.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info