Any Dodge techs in the house? Need help, dangerous problem.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
So yesterday our 09 grand caravan started acting up in a very dangerous way. I was driving it alone thank god. Out of nowhere the trans put itself into "autostick" or manual mode, and downshifted itself into 1st at around 40mph. It was a huge shock, and the van lunged forward hitting the rev limiter. Man Im glad the wife and kids were not in it, or it wasnt slippery out. It would have caused a spin no doubt.

Anyway, I tried to get it out of manual shift mode back to D, and it wouldnt go. I pulled off immediately and tried to turn off and back on. That fixed it for a second, but the minute I started driving, it jumped back into manual mode all by itself and downshifted to 1. So I pulled off again, turned it off and left it off for 2 minutes. Then it was normal. On the other side I tried to put it into manual mode just for grins to see if it was ok, and it would not go at all.

Did it again today too. same shit. Currently this is our only kid carrier car, and my wife needs it 3 times a week to drop off kids to school.

On a side note, and maybe related, we have had a driver airbag light on intermittenly for about 2 weeks. Everything I read says its a bad steering wheel clock spring, and I have one on order. But now Im reading that this manual shifter thing is somehow hooked up to the clock spring for some reason, so maybe this is collateral damage from the bad clock spring, or maybe the shifter mechanism is bad? These parts are not super cheap, and neither is dealer diagnosing time so I was hoping someone has heard of this and can point me in the right direction. I'd trade out of this thing quick too, but I cant in all good conscience have some other family buy it and have a bad accident because it was never fixed or disclosed.

Any help would be appreciated.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Because racevan!

Could be related, but could also be one of many control modules in the car. Did you ever take it anywhere to verify the clock spring? Or just believe everything you read on the internet?

No havent taken it anywhere, but the clock spring seems to be very common on these years. When the airbag light came on, the ABS and ESC lights were on for a day too. Thats what sent me on the clock spring path because of all three systems using the sensors in that to work. Steering sensors and whatnot. But this seems like it could be related. I was hoping a tech would know more or have seen this symptom. I cant seem to find anything about the manual shift mode coming on by itself. Hell I'd be happy just pulling a fuse to disable it, but that doesn't seem to exist. I was going to call the dealer on monday to ask for advice, but I already know how thats going to go. Some service writers going to tell me to bring it in and I wont be able to speak to a tech.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Seems pretty dangerous and it could be catastrophic if its an interference engine and accidentally overrevs. Is the trans leaking at all?

No, no leaks. And mechanically it shifts smooth. Its been very low hassle besides a leaky rear heater connection(bad design). I had to fix that twice. One with OE part, then the second time with better part. No more leak there.

But the trans has been good. And aside from the normal dodge 3300 oil consumption, its been ok. Drove it to myrtle beach last summer, and we have another myrtle beach trip planned for june. So it has to make it there and back again atleast. And this problem is one not to be ignored.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Bad clock springs must be a Chrysler thing. Parents had a problem on their Wrangler with the clock spring where the car would rev and lurch while in gear with your foot on the brake only. Because Chrysler.

But sounds like it is an important family hauler, I would definitely spend the extra money and take it to a trusted mechanic to be properly diagnosed. The internet is good, but actually having someone physically look at it, and correct the issues would probably be your best bet at this point.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info