Mr K. Father of the Z car passes away at 105

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Figure this should be posted here. Basically a guy who pushed through a lot of red tape and hardship and made the 240z a success in the US market. Helped open the doors to a lot of other makes and a whole market of cars in my opinion. Pushed for the 350z to be made and has no problems telling his own company that they have lost their way with their cars.

"Yutaka Katayama, a former Nissan executive credited with being the "father of the Z," has passed away at the age of 105. He died in a Tokyo hospital Thursday as a result of heart failure, his son, Mitsuo, confirmed to the Associated Press.

Katayama retired from Nissan in 1977, and for a time, ran the company's US division. He was inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame in both the US and Japan, and is most notably remembered as being the man who gave life to the original Datsun Z sports car. Within the Z fan club community, where he is known simply as "Mr. K," Katayama is widely revered and respected.

"With a love of cars and a flare for promotion, he built the Datsun brand, Nissan's initial brand name in the US, from scratch," the Japanese automaker said on its website last year, according to the Associated Press.

Katayama is survived by his wife, four children, 11 grandchildren, and 18 great-grandchildren. Our hearts go out to Mr. K's family, and the entire Z community."

Yutaka Katayama, 'father of the Z,' dead at 105

Was lucky enough to meet him when I went to Japan 2 years ago and he was still right there and with a sharp wit for jokes. Told me to keep my passion for cars up.

On his 100th birthday, Mr. K was still as feisty as ever, criticizing the Nissan 370Z as “so-so,” bemoaning its weight and price. “I’d like to have a sports car like the Miata,” Mr. K said in 2009. “The Miata is taking the place of the 240Z ….

Attachments

• 11021423_10102506168260819_4902160476861135929_o.jpg
    11021423_10102506168260819_4902160476861135929_o.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 41

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
And hes not all that wrong about Nissan. W/ the exception of the GTR, they dont have a lot of things that make anyone go "wow".

Why I own a Mazda 3 now.. Versa was just trash and terrible to drive. Juke was the only option and it is still a juke. Nothing is worth it for me under 30k.

They shied away from doing the eau rouge and the IDX because they aren't profitable like the altima/sentra etc. Just another toyota/honda clone with boring cars under 30k.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Intel
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list