out of state vehicle purchase - plates?

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
If one were to buy a vehicle out of state and drive it back to IL, what do you do about license plates? The fine lady answering the phone at the IL sec of state didn't provide much of any assistance on this topic. Google wasn't too helpful. Any TCG members know the "proper" way to do this?

Driving it back without plates will obviously catch attention and unnecessary delays while crossing 5 states.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
There is one proper way; plate it before you drive it. You're going to hear multiple people do it with a bill of sale, this, that but in wonderful Illinois, you need a plate to drive.

I have spoken to the chief of a fire department (who got his info from multiple cops) as well as 2 cops myself to find out about this as I used to buy vehicles like candy. It is illegal to drive on a bill of sale, or anything other than temp plates / perm. plates.
[MENTION=126]Dasfinc[/MENTION] will be able to share his experiences.

I had the same problem you did; SoS didn't help me, neither did the internet.

When I drove the Saturn I bought from [MENTION=303]Shocker[/MENTION] home from Aurora to Wood Dale with no plates, I was sure I was going to get pulled over, but I didn't. Same when I bought the GTO from [MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION]. :rofl: Stupid move on my part but I didn't get caught. Wouldn't test that over state lines though.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Take plates off something you have now and don't drive like a dick.

Most people do this.

If you want to be legal though, you'll have to purchase the vehicle first, then physically bring the title in to the DMV of the state you want to register it in and they'll usually issue you the plates immediately to take and put on the vehicle. I just sold a vehicle to an out of state individual a couple months ago. They paid me cash, i wrote the title over to him, he brought it to his DMV in Indiana the same day, then next morning he came back over with the plates and drove the vehicle away.

In the rare care you get stopped, most police officers wont give you problems if you just drive the car unregistered immediately after buying it. Biggest thing is get insurance on it immediately, and have a bill of sale or something stating it was just bought. Just don't drive like an asshole and you'd be fine.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
iirc there is a grace period for insurance in IL right?

talked to the agent, 30 days as long as you full coverage on another vehicle with the insurance company.

I would want to make sure that wrong plates are not far more Illegal than just no plates. Ignorance will only get you so far with these cowboy cops. If I still have plates from the same damn model of vehicle im buying, I might do it, obviously they'll be expired but not stick out as much.

its also a private sale, dealer sale they will give you temp plates in their own state.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
If you buy from a dealership, they offer something like a 30 day coverage for their vehicles. But no, you NEED insurance if you're buying from a private party or some dealerships. You cause an accident, you will be up shits creek without it.

i am pretty sure that this isn't correct.

and the dealership part would make 0 sense to me as well...

talked to the agent, 30 days as long as you full coverage on another vehicle with the insurance company.

I would want to make sure that wrong plates are not far more Illegal than just no plates. Ignorance will only get you so far with these cowboy cops. If I still have plates from the same damn model of vehicle im buying, I might do it, obviously they'll be expired but not stick out as much.

yeah. this. exactly.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
What is the new purchase?

2011 LT with 31k miles from New York. Hope it wasn't parked at the beach when that hurricane came through :io: carfax checks out, looks and advertised as super clean

$_57.JPG

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
You can go to the local DMV and get a drive away permit. It's essentially a 5-day temp plate. Illinois sells them and I'm sure wherever you're going to buy the vehicle will as well.

Currency Exchange actually concurred with this, I will just show up to the DMV tomorrow and confront them. Shaniqwilla at the sec of state customer service line had idea what was going on.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Yeah, some states require a dealer #, but, as far as the Illinois one goes I'm 95% sure you can get one for a PPV transaction.

I just got this permit the other day for my Audi because I had not fixed it in time to get emissions tested and re-registered before my plates expired. I literally walked into the DMV with a basic ID, the vehicle info, and $10. Within 15 minutes I walked out with a 7 day temp driving pass for the car.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
I just got this permit the other day for my Audi because I had not fixed it in time to get emissions tested and re-registered before my plates expired. I literally walked into the DMV with a basic ID, the vehicle info, and $10. Within 15 minutes I walked out with a 7 day temp driving pass for the car.

This thread has delivered, anxiety blown away into the wind. Thanks ya'll.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info