Motor Blown, What Next?

Loanshark

Alrighty, good deal.
TCG Premium
Sep 17, 2012
Well I installed new injectors Wednesday on the Camaro. Unfortunately one of the injectors was faulty and stuck open which hydrolocked my motor and ended up blowing it.

Luckily, it happened right as the season was ending. This will give me to time to get the car ready for next season. It is important to me to make sure the car is running come April.

I want opinions on what to do next. I am not looking to break the banks, since I am in the middle of closing on a new house, which will add to my monthly expenses.

Car has an LS1 in it with a cam and full bolt ons. I would like to keep it a street driven vehicle that can still have fun on the track when I want it to.

Speed has done the majority of the work on the car, and I am very happy with them, most likely the car will go to them to be completed over the winter.

What would you do in this situation?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Possibly buy a used engine...... Or if the heads we're not damaged. Check out schwanke short blocks online. They built 2 iron short blocks for me for like 1800 dollars or so. Forged Pistons. Fully balanced and blue printed. Both engines are still going strong. 1 is in a heads cam Camaro. The other is in a mid 500 hp supercharged gto. For the price can't beat it

Loanshark

Alrighty, good deal.
TCG Premium
Sep 17, 2012
I guess the real question is what do you mean by "blown"? If you can get away with replacing a single piston and rod I'd say just do that. But if you threw a rod through the side of the block that's a different story

Not really sure the extent of the damage, but if the motor is going to be out I am sure I should get it built and do it right. The motor had almost 150k on it.

Loanshark

Alrighty, good deal.
TCG Premium
Sep 17, 2012
Possibly buy a used engine...... Or if the heads we're not damaged. Check out schwanke short blocks online. They built 2 iron short blocks for me for like 1800 dollars or so. Forged Pistons. Fully balanced and blue printed. Both engines are still going strong. 1 is in a heads cam Camaro. The other is in a mid 500 hp supercharged gto. For the price can't beat it

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Right now Speed is quoting me aprox. between 4k-5k to rebuild my current motor with forged pistons etc. I am not that handy around a car, and not sure exactly what I should be doing in my situation.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
The engine is not that hard to pull out the top yourself. If the cam was not damaged you can put it in. First thing would be to tear down this current engine. Know the extent of your damage first before ordering parts. At the very least since your in there already. Replace the lifter trays, lifters to ls7 lifter, and get hardend push rods

Loanshark

Alrighty, good deal.
TCG Premium
Sep 17, 2012
The engine is not that hard to pull out the top yourself. If the cam was not damaged you can put it in. First thing would be to tear down this current engine. Know the extent of your damage first before ordering parts. At the very least since your in there already. Replace the lifter trays, lifters to ls7 lifter, and get hardend push rods

Thanks!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info