Chicago debates using E15 gas for vehicles

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Chicago debates using E15 gas for vehicles - FOX 32 News Chicago

CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) -

E15 is a new type of blended fuel that contains 15 percent ethanol, and now a powerful Chicago alderman wants to pass a law requiring Chicago gas stations to carry it.
However, opponents said it will cost millions of dollars and that the fuel could damage a car.
"Chicagoans pay more for gas than anyone else in the nation," said Alderman Ed Burke.
Burke touted the benefits of E15 moments before a finance committee hearing on his bill that would require Chicago gas stations to sell the blended fuel.
Proponents argue that E15 is five to 15 cents cheaper than regular gas, burns more cleanly -- causing less pollution -- and because it uses more corn, would pump billions of dollars into Illinois’ economy.
Retired general and NATO commander Wesley Clark, who co-chairs an ethanol company, painted E15 in patriotic terms.
“And every gallon of ethanol we use in America means we don't have to import that gallon plus of crude oil from abroad. Buying it from nations that don't agree with us and divert their money to support terrorists," Clark said.
But others say E15 is no panacea.
The AAA Motor Club has produced a video warning that E15 could damage cars approved by the EPA to use the new fuel, which includes virtually all light vehicles made since 2001.
"Potential issues include erroneous check engine lights, the deterioration of fuel system rubber components, early fuel pump failures and accelerated engine wear," the video iterated.
And a Chicago gas station owner said it will cost thousands of dollars to retrofit their pumps and tanks to carry E15.
"What we have in the ground now works. We don't know if E15 is more corrosive, it's gonna create more leaks. We just don't know that," said Peter Mancini of Parent Petroleum.
However, Alderman Burke said those claims are really about limiting choice.
"Big oil is fighting this tooth and nail. They're not allowing the product to be available to motorists," Burke added.
Currently, E15 is sold in about 20 states but not Illinois. The finance committee did not take a vote, which means nothing will happen until at least September.
Aldeman Bob Fioretti told FOX 32 News the issue deserves a lot more study before any final decision, noting that in the end, it's really a battle between big corn and big oil with billions of dollars at stake.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
What a fucking retard. Ethanol is cheap because we subsidize it since we use the worst fucking way to produce it, corn.

As for buying it from other nations, how about we stop exporting our own reserves instead of using a straw man argument to use a shitty fuel source for "reduced" prices? A FUCKTON (standard unit of measurement) more jobs would be created than we could imagine from the new need of more refineries and processing plants for the influx of using our own oil. The sheer stupidity of these people in charge has no words to describe it other than the literal definition of retarded.

But no. Here's Chicago politics at it's greatest degree.

A cottage in the fucking mountains of Canada looks more and more like a great alternative to this shit every day.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Yahhh even less fuel economy and performance for a whopping 5 to 15 cents cheaper. How about remove some of the stupid gas taxes that drive up the price instead. Stop putting this filler in the gasoline supply and just sell E85 separately. This is bad news for older cars and small engines.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
What a fucking retard. Ethanol is cheap because we subsidize it since we use the worst fucking way to produce it, corn.

As for buying it from other nations, how about we stop exporting our own reserves instead of using a straw man argument to use a shitty fuel source for "reduced" prices? A FUCKTON (standard unit of measurement) more jobs would be created than we could imagine from the new need of more refineries and processing plants for the influx of using our own oil. The sheer stupidity of these people in charge has no words to describe it other than the literal definition of retarded.

But no. Here's Chicago politics at it's greatest degree.

A cottage in the fucking mountains of Canada looks more and more like a great alternative to this shit every day.

Pretty much said everything I was gonna. So yea, what you said!

EDIT: If they really wanna make fuel cheaper. How about they push for more e85 stations. There's a fuck ton of flex vehicles on the road, but there's not enough pumps in areas to support it. Around here I run nothing but e85. But when it comes to traveling out of the area I have to revert back to 89 because lack of said pumps.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Yahhh even less fuel economy and performance for a whopping 5 to 15 cents cheaper. How about remove some of the stupid gas taxes that drive up the price instead. Stop putting this filler in the gasoline supply and just sell E85 separately. This is bad news for older cars and small engines.

When I bought my quad, every jet and screw in the carb bowl was seized in place from the ethanol buildup. I get 14-15mpg out of E10 down here, I was getting 17-18 when I filled up in Wisconsin with pure gas.

How anyone continues to think gas/ethanol mix is good is beyond my comprehension.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
When I bought my quad, every jet and screw in the carb bowl was seized in place from the ethanol buildup. I get 14-15mpg out of E10 down here, I was getting 17-18 when I filled up in Wisconsin with pure gas.

How anyone continues to think gas/ethanol mix is good is beyond my comprehension.

yep, I had some problems with my tiller. The submerged pickup tube in the gas tank had completely disintegrated, no other reason than corrosive ethanol.

We aren't going to save any money with a higher % of ethanol because we will be filling up more often. Fucking retarded is right.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info