Project WRX issues/questions

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
So my buddy bought this car off of some kid almost 5 years ago. It has a lot of nice parts but the more I work on it and get into it they just don't seem to jive with the power it is supposed to have and how it spools. Figure some of you will enjoy my misery in fixing other shops/peoples mistakes. Sorry if this is long just kind of a lot of random stuff to get to.

Issues
1.No high beams/one ballast out, 40 dollar hid kit garbage in stock housing in super glare blue. Ripped that ricer garbage out.
2. Car won't start after you fill it with gas for 2-5 minutes. Whole evap system was misrouted so when you filled it with gas the vent went straight into intake without stopping at any evap solenoids. Rerouted everything back to stock
3. Tried to replace brake pads and rotors. RH side Brembo Caliper was either torqued super tight or the steel and aluminum bonded so tight it took the threads out with it. Timesert kit on the way to drill out and fix
4. Manual boost controller, thing spools rather late and it was opensource tuned so I don't get why they didn't use the stock EBC/upgraded controller. Thoughts? only ever mildy tuned my Z so noob here, just figure it would spool faster.
5. Cam seals on one side are seeping oil a little.
6. Exhaust is hanging rather low for how high this car is sitting. I feel it is a combo of the stupidly large downpipe and the catback chosen.

Mod list (to my knowledge, let me know if in the pictures you think differently)
Some oversized 3 plate clutch system.
Perrin Equal length headers
Turboxs 4 inch downpipe
HKS carbon-ti exhaust
APS front mount kit
16g turbo ( I question why such a small turbo with all the other stuff)
pyrometer + boost gauge
MBC
Rota Torque 17 inch 5x100
Opensource ecu tune
2.0 WRX motor rebuilt 58k miles on odo (According to previous motor)
06 STI transmission/differential ( I question the diffs being changed given the hubs are still 5x100 and not 5x114 if they really did swap the whole drivetrain like was said)
04 STI brembos
Looks like stock sti suspension with some form of blue lowering springs (cobb maybe)

Previous kid was supposed to give my friend the build sheet, and didn't. Supposedly this 2002 WRX was in a shop for like 18 months being built. It is some custom VW color. Somehow my suspiscion is it was at DS1, but I have no proof of that. My buddy says it was a shop in Naperville that only did WRX's and Evo's. Just seems like a whole ton of expensive parts were thrown at it but they ran out of money when it came to the turbo/MBC/fuel system. Dyno 5 years ago supposedly was 330hp. I don't believe it coming from driving my Z.

DP

HKS potato shooter, hanging low. Need to replace one hanger but still.

Supposedly a 16g.. just looks small to me.

Whoever decided to put the Evap clusterfuck here.. I hate you.

Any idea what these connectors are for? I was guessing the diff controller as it is an STI transmission in a WRX body. Or maybe emission related equipment.

Also this connector?

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Eh I am working on as much as I can with the owner. After that though it will need a tune once we get the MBC and hopefully that stupidly large 4 inch downpipe changed up. Trying to figure out this transmission connector stuff as I am curious if they installed a DCCD controller or not.

I guess the part I circled in red is a pcv diagnostic connector which was only on 2004+ wrx's

So 2002 body and harness (which doesn't have a connector for that pcv diagnostic), 2004 wrx motor and 2006 STI tranny/diff. :eek3:

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Pretty sure the dccd controller is under the center console, not under the hood.

I mean I assume that is where it should be. I just have 2-3 connectors from what looks like the trans with nowhere to go right now. Time to trace them and start the work.

Worst part is from what I am told it was a 16-20 year old who bought all of this stuff but he didn't know how to do it so a shop built it over 18 months as he was buying parts. In the overall sense it has worked for 5 years and not blown up so that is good at least. Just the further I dig the less I am impressed by what was done. For 300hp I could have done this for a lot less money and hackery.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Its a 2.0 right? Just a newer one?
I don't have any connectors there. Everything is on the inner fender and that's the bcs, o2 sensor and egt.

I'd suggest just getting a 3 port gm bcs. You can find them on gto's all day long at the JY. Just grab the plug too. Much safer than a manual one and it'll hold boost nearly to redline.

Is it the 02 ecu still? All the tuning software is free. You just need a cable.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Its a 2.0 right? Just a newer one?
I don't have any connectors there. Everything is on the inner fender and that's the bcs, o2 sensor and egt.

I'd suggest just getting a 3 port gm bcs. You can find them on gto's all day long at the JY. Just grab the plug too. Much safer than a manual one and it'll hold boost nearly to redline.

Is it the 02 ecu still? All the tuning software is free. You just need a cable.
I still have to check what the ECU is, It is definately getting a 3 port bcs. I will check out the GTO ones, how do they compare to the grimmspeed?

Look for build thread on nasioc
Will try, damn thing was done 5 years ago.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
GTP not gto.

They're both 3 ports and the gm one will work great. Plus its free99 vs $100+

Sweet guess I will join the I need parts from a 3800 picknpull club. I feel dirty now.

I know a couple guys locally that can probably help out. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Will let you know. Still in the early stages of fixing the big issues.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info