R18 question

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
OK, so I have an 08 Civic. CEL came on tonight, thinking to myself it may just be gas since I put some in the tank. Popped open the radiator cap, and I can't see coolant. It's obviously hot, so my question to the Honda Mechanics out there are:

1)Where does the block crack
2)I didn't see anything that resembled a milkshake. Do these usually milkshake or do they leak externally
3)What are the chances I already fucked the head. I'm assuming good. I know that based on previous reading this is not typically covered by them doing a replacement short block.
4)what are the chances of wounding this further by driving it?
5)Am I better finding an indy shop to stick a JY R18 in? It's an 08 with 171,000

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
OK, so I have an 08 Civic. CEL came on tonight, thinking to myself it may just be gas since I put some in the tank. Popped open the radiator cap, and I can't see coolant. It's obviously hot, so my question to the Honda Mechanics out there are:

1)Where does the block crack
2)I didn't see anything that resembled a milkshake. Do these usually milkshake or do they leak externally
3)What are the chances I already fucked the head. I'm assuming good. I know that based on previous reading this is not typically covered by them doing a replacement short block.
4)what are the chances of wounding this further by driving it?
5)Am I better finding an indy shop to stick a JY R18 in? It's an 08 with 171,000

Cel comes on, what are the codes? If u doing have them no one is going to help you much.

Why did u think of popping the rad cap off. Normally ur asking to get burned literally if u soon a hot engine

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Yeah, i am just waiting until the parts store opens and i have mobility. Dont need a code reader to know it needs coolant. It is a documented issue with the r18. Honda has extended the warranty to something like 10 years and unlimited miles. The problem is they stick you for 2k when the head tanks due to the coolant loss typically.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
6225d1180801806-my-r18-block-cracked-check-yours-crack-leak.jpg

As far as I know they crack to the exterior and not into the crankcase.

Ours has 80k on it with no issues. It's an 06.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
No time between sick child and work today to poke this, I did manage to grab a jug of the blue shit to try and see if my theory holds water..........It may do so better than the block does. $20 for a gallon of premixed antifreeze, I suspect that's just going to be the beginning of the pain. I'm hoping I caught it early enough but doubt it. Will check tonight to see how much this gallon fills it up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info