2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Gets 28 MPG Highway in Real MPG Testing Read more: http://w

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Pretty neat

Scraping every last mile per gallon out of a pickup truck is much harder than with a car. Nowadays, getting close to an EPA-rated 20 mpg combined for a light-duty truck is considered pretty good, even if this is also the domain of base, naturally aspirated V-6s. That's why we found ourselves very impressed with the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel’s fuel economy after it had been subjected to the Motor Trend Real MPG test. With a Real MPG highway rating of up to 28 mpg highway, the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is among the first vehicles to be mileage-tested using Motor Trend's new alternative source of standardized fuel economy numbers. Have no clue what Motor Trend’s Real MPG is? CLICK HERE to learn how we’ve established a real-world fuel economy evaluation protocol and plan to use it on as many vehicles as we can. 2014 Ram 1500 Limited Ecodiesel Front In support of our annual Truck of the Year program, we put our 2014 contestants through the Real MPG 88-mile drive cycle to determine how each would fare in the real world. Without official EPA numbers for the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel in hand, we weren’t entirely sure what to expect from the only diesel half-ton pickups sold in the U.S. The Real MPG result for the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel should stir even the most diehard Ford and Chevrolet fans. To start, the four-wheel-drive Ram 1500 EcoDiesel with a towing-preferred 3.92:1 axle ratio achieved 19/26/21 mpg city/highway/combined. According to EPA figures, the Ram 1500 4x4 with the Pentastar 3.6-liter V-6 hits 16/23/19 mpg, whereas equipping the 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 nets 13/19/15 mpg (six-speed automatic) or 15/21/17 mpg (eight-speed auto).

Read more: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Gets 28 MPG Highway in Real MPG Testing - Motor Trend WOT

Then we put a rear-drive Ram 1500 EcoDiesel with the longer 3.55:1 ratio on the Real MPG loop. It finished the cycle at 18/28/22 mpg. Once again, according to the EPA, the rear-drive Ram 1500 with the Pentastar V-6 is rated 17/25/20 mpg. Having the burlier Hemi onboard drops fuel economy to 15/22/17 mpg with the eight-speed auto and to 14/20/16 mpg with the six-speed. The big attraction to having the VM Motori-sourced 240-hp/420-lb-ft 3.0-liter turbodiesel V-6 in the Ram 1500 is fuel efficiency, whether the truck is loaded with a trailer or unladen while commuting. The truck's hauling and towing performance is closer to a V-8’s capability, and that's appealing as well. Depending on the cab style, axle ratio, and drive layout, Ram claims a 1500 EcoDiesel will tow up to 9200 pounds, 1750 pounds more than the highest-rated Ram 1500 V-6. Of course, the imminent EPA numbers for the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel don’t have to mirror our findings (though that’d be great). But if they’re anywhere near 18-19/26-28/21-22 mpg, it should create an interesting forum for the discussion of diesel engines in future 1500-class pickup trucks. Get another perspective on the Real MPG fuel economy testing HERE, and revisit our Real MPG explanation article HERE.

Read more: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Gets 28 MPG Highway in Real MPG Testing - Motor Trend WOT

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Right now it's about 20 cents more a gallon so that ain't bad considering gm and ford are around 21-22mph for their new capable platforms(ecoboost f150 and 5.3 ecotec 1500)

even still... 22mpg out of one of those trucks @ 3.40 a gallon vs 28mpg in this truck @ 4.00 a gallon.... across a thousand miles... or any distance but for sake of numbers... 1000 miles = 35.7 gallons for the diesel at $4 a gallon = $142.80, 1000 miles = 45.45 gallons for the gas truck at $3.40 a gallon = $154.53

the diesel is still better off.

not to mention increased reliability across the future of the engine & greater resale value.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Gas buddy has 87 at 3.45 at a throton by my house while the shell by me has diesel for 3.65. Just seems like the more Eco friendly diesel platforms hit the market the more diesel prices rise. It use to be that diesel was far and away cheaper than 87.

Since they've started making all diesel ultra low sulfur, cheap diesel has gone by the way side. It's no longer just a bi product of gasoline.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
even still... 22mpg out of one of those trucks @ 3.40 a gallon vs 28mpg in this truck @ 4.00 a gallon.... across a thousand miles... or any distance but for sake of numbers... 1000 miles = 35.7 gallons for the diesel at $4 a gallon = $142.80, 1000 miles = 45.45 gallons for the gas truck at $3.40 a gallon = $154.53

the diesel is still better off.

not to mention increased reliability across the future of the engine & greater resale value.

Gas buddy has 87 at 3.45 at a throton by my house while the shell by me has diesel for 3.65. Just seems like the more Eco friendly diesel platforms hit the market the more diesel prices rise. It use to be that diesel was far and away cheaper than 87.

Like I said here though too... even though diesel is almost 20% more expensive, the gas counterparts will have to come up even more to equal out... around 24mpg highway would be needed to equal that of a diesel- and that's at a 60 cent per gallon price difference-

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
diesel does fluctuate quite a bit though. sometimes it is cheaper than gas...

I feel like its the complete opposite. Dead of summer....paid $3.85. Last week.....paid $3.85 and every time between then.

Meanwhile 93 has gone from $3.45 to $3.75 and fluctuates pretty much daily in wild swings.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I feel like its the complete opposite. Dead of summer....paid $3.85. Last week.....paid $3.85 and every time between then.

Meanwhile 93 has gone from $3.45 to $3.75 and fluctuates pretty much daily in wild swings.

weird.

I always thought that because not as many places are making diesel in the winter it goes up in price.

but I'm really shooting from the hip here
[MENTION=917]1quick[/MENTION] where you at

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
weird.

I always thought that because not as many places are making diesel in the winter it goes up in price.

but I'm really shooting from the hip here

[MENTION=917]1quick[/MENTION] where you at

In addition, diesel prices are always higher than gasoline during the winter in the U.S. because the heavy oil used to produce diesel is also used to produce home heating oil. The heavy use of heating oil in the Northeast drives up diesel prices in winter

this is what I thought...

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I like that it is VW sourced... that would lead me to believe that it will be reliable as fuck since it comes from the TDI family.

It is not made by Volkswagen. It is made by VM Motori. "The 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 comes to these shores courtesy of VM Motori, a longtime Italian marine-diesel-engine builder and former affiliate of Fiat." link

well diesel is more expensive right now because it is the winter as well... not as many plants are making it.

Growing up diesel was always cheaper than regular gas. It has only been higher for the last few years. It is less refined than regular gas. It is actually made with the unused crap left over from the production of regular gas. I am sure there are many things that factor into it. The main thing being oil and gas companies want to have larger profits.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Growing up diesel was always cheaper than regular gas. It has only been higher for the last few years. It is less refined than regular gas. It is actually made with the unused crap left over from the production of regular gas. I am sure there are many things that factor into it. The main thing being oil and gas companies want to have larger profits.

I don't think this is entirely true anymore- I know it used to be but I think it has since changed.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
when you crack crude all these things come off iso butane propane ethane on down the line to gas and diesel then they re refine those things to make them pure, refinery grade butane is the only thing thats left its a blend of all the shit left over, they then put that back into the pump gas in the winter to raise the vapor pressure to make your car start easier, so no they never stop making any of those products as long as the refinery is running

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Diesel prices used to be effected by the winter heating oil market. Not as much heating oil is being used now. Demand also goes up in the Spring and Fall with framers planting and harvesting.

The biggest reason diesel prices are higher than gasoline is Europe. 50% of European cars are diesel and the US now exports diesel (but still imports gasoline).

Dodge should have stuck with the V8 Cummins instead of letting it go to Nissan.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Diesel prices used to be effected by the winter heating oil market. Not as much heating oil is being used now. Demand also goes up in the Spring and Fall with framers planting and harvesting.

The biggest reason diesel prices are higher than gasoline is Europe. 50% of European cars are diesel and the US now exports diesel (but still imports gasoline).

Dodge should have stuck with the V8 Cummins instead of letting it go to Nissan.

I don't think that was a dodge call... I bet cummins is just a business like any other and will sell to anyone.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info