Tesla Will Make A Pickup Truck

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Move over, Chevrolet and Ram. A new challenger has appeared to take on the Ford F-Series in the truck game: Tesla Motors. CEO Elon Musk has officially announced that his electric car company will produce a pickup truck.

Musk made the announcement yesterday afternoon at a Business Insider event in New York. There, he said that the truck — which will likely look like an actual product people will want to buy and not the terrible render I had to cook up myself because Jason isn't in yet — will compete directly with the Ford F-Series and other passenger trucks. He said it won't be a commercial truck.

Here's what BI reported:

Musk's comments about the truck came after he was asked whether Tesla would ever make a fleet truck for the likes of FedEx or UPS. He said that, yes, Tesla was planning to make a truck, but not a commercial one, because the market opportunity for commercial trucks is much smaller. Musk said the Tesla truck would be modeled on Ford's F-Series in part because of that truck's remarkable popularity.

Say there, are you itching for the chance to pull a trigger on a Tesla Model X so you can savor the envious looks you'll get from your Silicon… Read…

It's very interesting to hear that Musk wants to take on Ford. This makes it sound like they want to do an actual, honest-to-God pickup with towing and hauling capabilities rather than a Honda Ridgeline-esque crossover truck based on the upcoming Tesla Model X. But Musk offered few other details, so that's just speculation on my part.

The truck game is very different from the luxury sedan game. I have to wonder exactly who this truck will be aimed at. Can an electric truck steal market share from traditional buyers who are deeply committed to their Ford, Chevy and Ram trucks? I think that depends on how good the Tesla truck ends up being.

Let us know what you think a Model S of pickup trucks should be like.

:wtf:
[MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION]

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Packaging the batteries would certainly be easier and the instant torque of the electric motor would be nice but you still run into problems like range, which would be significantly reduced if you... you know... used it like a truck? Then there's the matter of all that extra space for batteries not really being usable because the batteries are still so expensive.

I'm not sold. This must be a very long term thing for them because I can't see how it would currently have any kind of viability.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Fleet sales of electic vans and trucks has really picked up over the years. And if Li-ion batteries costs keep going down its a no brainer. They say that li-ion batteries will cost half of what they do now by 2018-2020. Which isnt that far away in reality

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
He said it won't be a commercial truck.

And I just read this.

Truck owners of today would probally not buy this IMO. Fleets would if they can make it cheaper than conventional powered trucks.

And good concet to think about for consumers would be a truck that had motors inside all four wheels like the electic SLS. That would make a sick 4X4.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
And I just read this.

Truck owners of today would probally not buy this IMO. Fleets would if they can make it cheaper than conventional powered trucks.

And good concet to think about for consumers would be a truck that had motors inside all four wheels like the electic SLS. That would make a sick 4X4.

They bought the Honda truck, which has a trunk Ooooooooo. But on the plus side, that truck area could be filled with battaries.

I still think the best route is a small deisel engine to run a electric generater to run 4 electric motors.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
1687788199852.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info