Hollow an ls gen iv cam?

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
How much is hollow? I'm not sure how hard the cam is.

They may have to use carbide and will most likely have to go from both ends no matter what.

No way will they bore it out with a boring bar. Too expensive.

You may be able to do it at home. Get a masonry drill bit. They are carbide tipped. Or if the center is soft enough use a regular drill.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
How much is hollow? I'm not sure how hard the cam is.

They may have to use carbide and will most likely have to go from both ends no matter what.

No way will they bore it out with a boring bar. Too expensive.

You may be able to do it at home. Get a masonry drill bit. They are carbide tipped. Or if the center is soft enough use a regular drill.

Simple. Just anneal the cam if the metal is too hard to drill normally.

Why would it be too expensive to bore it out with a boring bar? I am not seeing the logic there.

A masonry drill bit would never make it through soft metal, let alone hard. The tip geometry of a masonry bit is all wrong for that sort of job. Masonry bit tips are made to crush and scoop away brittle material like concrete, etc; not cut away material like what metal requires.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
Simple. Just anneal the cam if the metal is too hard to drill normally. A masonry drill bit would never make it through soft metal, let alone hard. The tip geometry of a masonry bit is all wrong for that sort of job.

I beg to differ. We use them all the time at work To drill hardened steel. Its a cheap way to open up holes when needed. Granted we touch up the bit but it is and has been done by many shops. Large and small.

It just needs a hole not a precision hole.

You first need to drill a hole to bore a hole. Drilling is faster than boring. So for what he wants drilling a 1/2" hole is faster than drilling a smaller hole and boring it to size. Boring a hole is for precision size and location. Something that is not needed here. If he's gonna pay someone they are gonna charge him more for the second process of boring a hole.

But never mind I don't know squat.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I beg to differ. We use them all the time at work To drill hardened steel. Its a cheap way to open up holes when needed. Granted we touch up the bit but it is and has been done by many shops. Large and small.

It just needs a hole not a precision hole.

I assume these masonry bits aren't exactly your off the shelf unmodified units. I assume you cut an edge onto the carbide at least. Using a masonry bit to drill steel sounds like a lengthy process. I would like to know more about this since it seems so counter-intuitive to me, besides the metallurgy of the tip itself. Do you have any more information? I would like to put this tool in my toolbox, so-to-speak.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
I assume these masonry bits aren't exactly your off the shelf unmodified units. I assume you cut an edge onto the carbide at least. Using a masonry bit to drill steel sounds like a lengthy process. I would like to know more about this since it seems so counter-intuitive to me, besides the metallurgy of the tip itself. Do you have any more information? I would like to put this tool in my toolbox, so-to-speak.

I have taken them out of a package from the store. I forget who makes a pretty nice one that you dont need to touch up. I want to say bosch. The bosh ones are more like a spade drill. The carbide is not like most of the bits your thinking of. Ground a angle on them. It's a down and dirty way of making a hole since they are cheaper than buying a end mill to say open up a screw hole. I would never use one for something important like a dowel.

ezame3yz.jpg

These suck but you can grind them to cut hardened tool steel. I have cut 60-62 RC d2 tool steel. It's loud and sucks but it can be done

a8u6ajy5.jpg

These are what I was suggesting the op try. I use something like this and I believe the off the shelf Bosch is like this. I have not used one of the Bosch in a while.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info