Car Love

Chesticlese

Newbie Grease Monkey
May 19, 2013
Racine, WI
How many of you have had a car out of commission for more than a week? More than two weeks? I am going on nearly a month without my Gunther, my 1988 Volkswagen Golf MK2.

I'm talking listening to love songs and wanting to drive her, but you cant..

So some of you may know what's going on with my car, but to those who dont..

Gunther's steering rack and pinion snapped. My mechanic found parts and got everything set. She needed an alignment, badly. He said my steering wheel was upside down, haha. My car was sent to a secondary location that specializes in alignments, and as they went to take the tie rods off, they were rusted in place (something that I hear is common of the golf). They told my mechanic that they would take them off $60 a side. My mechanic knowing my financial situation had the car returned to take them off himself. One side came off eventually, but the other would not budge. He had the tie rod glowing red and wound up destroying the tie rod attempting to remove it. Over the past week I had been waiting for the new tie rods to come in, and my mechanic was also serving jury duty (dont know if he is now or not). I hear that I should have her back this coming week and I really hope so.

I feel like I've spent so much time away from my car that I wont remember how finicky the synchro is, that I wont remember my grab point in the clutch.

I MISS MY CAR!

Here's a video if awesomeness, and about 50 feet of air.
Insane Jump by a Buick La sabre - YouTube

Chesticlese

Newbie Grease Monkey
May 19, 2013
Racine, WI
I would hate to see the car and not be able to drive.. My car is sitting at my local mechanic's shop. Though any time I do pass the place while riding with someone, I stare at her with sorrow in my eyes. I would hate to be taunted...
What makes it all easier to deal with is that I know when I get her back, I wont have any steering problems for a long ass time... Assuming the new used steering rack is flawless lol.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
A few weeks is nothing, My Camaro was down for about a year and a half, then when I did get all the parts and funds to get it back on the road it was nothing but problem after problem. That was the hardest part, being so close and having things keep going wrong. When it was sitting all blown apart it was easy to realize it wasn't back together because I didn't have all the parts to put it back together the way I wanted.

Chesticlese

Newbie Grease Monkey
May 19, 2013
Racine, WI
A few weeks is nothing, My Camaro was down for about a year and a half, then when I did get all the parts and funds to get it back on the road it was nothing but problem after problem. That was the hardest part, being so close and having things keep going wrong. When it was sitting all blown apart it was easy to realize it wasn't back together because I didn't have all the parts to put it back together the way I wanted.

When your Camaro was down did you at least have something to drive? My car is my only car :/

Chesticlese

Newbie Grease Monkey
May 19, 2013
Racine, WI
This car has never been for more than a day. But my old GP was down for about 5 weeks when the engine blew. It was at the dealer that whole time, so I at least I didn't have to look at it
And at least it was in good hands!
a daily driven project car is not the way to go. I've learned that......:roflpicard:

I don't really have a choice, friend. My brother dubbed me the queen of beaters, every car I've had has been a project, and every car has been my daily driver. I am a poor mofo, haha.

Chesticlese

Newbie Grease Monkey
May 19, 2013
Racine, WI
Not really :rofl: :fu: They were a bunch of cheap ass jag bags

that sucks. I am thankful for my shop. Though the last month has been hectic, my shop strives to work with me and be fair, they only work on what I ask them to, and I spread the word on them as much as I can. Ever listen to 95.1FM WILROCK? You know their 420 hit of the day? They have a auto shop commercial on every day with it, from A+ automotive. That's my place. They got love from me!

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
I have heard of them, yeah. That's good though! That dealer was junk, but was really the only place I could take it to. It was a GM dealer out where I went to school. And instead of a monster towing bill(car spun a bearing while at the track :mamoru: ) to tow it back to home, I went to the dealer by school. The car went back to them numerous times to fix lazy/shitty work from the motor install. The car was under warranty too, so I skated through that whole mess on the cheap...which also explains the cheap work.

I try to do my own stuff now(or at least get friends to help :pedobear: )

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
And at least it was in good hands!

I don't really have a choice, friend. My brother dubbed me the queen of beaters, every car I've had has been a project, and every car has been my daily driver. I am a poor mofo, haha.

Keeping a beater on the road is a bit different.

Been there done that too. Unfortunately my "decent" daily driver is turning into a beater :roflpicard:

Chesticlese

Newbie Grease Monkey
May 19, 2013
Racine, WI
I've owned my GTO for almost 3yrs now and still haven't drove it yet. I wish it was only a few months lol. Just think when you do get it back the better it'll be :D
Oh my fucking god you probably know how excited I am lol I wont have any steering problems (I had about 6inches of play in the steering wheel when I bought her)
Keeping a beater on the road is a bit different.

Been there done that too. Unfortunately my "decent" daily driver is turning into a beater :roflpicard:

s00ls keeps telling me to not get attached to her, that shes going to be a money pit and then she will die. I cant live life that way. I have to be attached to my ride. It's what keeps a ride going when there is no hope!

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I'd never listen to that guy for advice on a car :rofl:

I know how getting attached to a car can be. I should of sold mine a long time ago but just can't come up with anything better for the price. It's more of a love/hate relationship.

Oh and I'd rock the shit out of an MK2. :bigthumb:

Chesticlese

Newbie Grease Monkey
May 19, 2013
Racine, WI
I'd never listen to that guy for advice on a car :rofl:

I know how getting attached to a car can be. I should of sold mine a long time ago but just can't come up with anything better for the price. It's more of a love/hate relationship.

Oh and I'd rock the shit out of an MK2. :bigthumb:
LOL Don't get me wrong I think s00ls is pretty car smart, and I know he loved his Impala. That's why he keeps telling me lol.

Love hate relationship for real my friend.. But I would hate myself for giving up something I love so much. With a lifetime of disappointments and things taken from me (thank you Winthrop Harbor police you fucking assholes) I am not willing to give up on a car that has already beat the odds.

Way I see it, do what you love. You only live once and you can't take money with you when you die.. so fuck it. LOL. :D
LOL I dont mind putting money into a sexy car! (she's old but shes sexy)
NO. no yolo. fuck yolo. Hakuna Matata.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info