straightening bowed trunk lid

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Anyone ever done this? I figure the value of my decklid as scrap won't be any less if I try and a new lid is 400 plus so what the hell. I am thinking take a flat large board like a 2x8, use some blocks as spacers and crank down to try and force it back in to shape. Thoughts? Experiences?

bdyman

can i haz bondo?
Sep 9, 2008
cicero
Real Name
chris
Was the car in a accident..?...?. It can be bent. But if it was in a accident and the deck lid is bent at the crumple zones. Sometimes yes other times no it cant
Once metal is bent and or kinked past the repair point then you replce it
If you post pics of the accident or bent deck lid. Ill be able to help more

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
It's a 71 Lemans. not sure how many "crumple zones" a car like that would have, but there's definitely a point in the underframe of the lid where it's tweaked.

I'm wanting to try and get the trunk lid issue figured out before I start really working on the rest heavily. Everyone is telling me to get $1500 of sheet metal to put on this thing, while the path of least resistance it's a $700 car and I'm wanting something to drive not to score 100 points at a car show. The trunk lid is the 1 piece I would actually be tempted to replace, as it'd make the best "datum" as far as I can tell. That and the bumper that's tweaked. Still trying to figure out how to deal with that one, have an idea. Need more chain though.

The front isn't bad, it may be tweaked but it's not much if it is. The door gaps look good overall, and there may be 1/16 of alignment of the front face that's off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Mr_Roboto
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list