Camshafts - ok?

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
I got these stage 2 cams for free off a friend... one cam (the intake IIRC) has 4 lobes that have knicks/gouges/etc whatever you want to call them from when he bent a couple of valves... im thinking about asking my machine shop guy if they are usable but figured id ask here first - would save me about $450 if they are usable

heres a couple pics - the worst marks IMO

IMAG0598_zps68d85842.jpg

IMAG0599_zpsfd2c23f8.jpg

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
im having a hard time remembering if those were like the older roller rocker/followers or whether those act directly on a tappet
from the wear it looks like a typical roller wear pattern as its not full across the face....

cams directly touch the valves IIRC - hence why i dont think it would be a problem...

6literEat'r

TCG Elite Member
Oct 21, 2008
i had knick in my cam on my ls1 when i popped the engine, when i swapped the cam to a new engine, i cleaned the "damaged" spot up with some emerycloth only on the small damaged spot to ensure nothing was sticking up that would damage the lifter roller...havent had a single problem.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yeah emery cloth will work but a file would be better as to only remove any metal that is "proud" or above the surface.

get the fuel system and buy a tube of rtv, can of brake cleaner, and a couple of old hard drive magnets to clean and secure near the drainbacks to catch any tiny metal particles from the roller and cam cleaning each other up/wearing together.

youll be good, the st1r in the TR had lobe damage and no issues, same with the VS in Al's old motor...roller cams are quite forgiving

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info