Tire Shaving (If that's even what it's called)

uofipilot

Regular
Jun 29, 2008
Does anyone know anyone/anywhere that shaves tires down? My understanding is that this typically for taking some tread off of performance tires for racing applications, but can also be used to help out idiots like me that leave a car sitting way too long on a brand new set of soft tires and put flat spots in them that are so bad it makes the car virtually undrivable......

So yeah, if anyone knows where I can get this done in the Chicago area at a price of less than a new set of tires, please let me know.

Thanks,
Matt

MrFosta

Cali Imported
Jan 26, 2013
Chicago, IL
Does anyone know anyone/anywhere that shaves tires down? My understanding is that this typically for taking some tread off of performance tires for racing applications, but can also be used to help out idiots like me that leave a car sitting way too long on a brand new set of soft tires and put flat spots in them that are so bad it makes the car virtually undrivable......

So yeah, if anyone knows where I can get this done in the Chicago area at a price of less than a new set of tires, please let me know.

Thanks,
Matt

They should drive out with a few miles. And realistically if you flat spotted them so bad that they dont, then shaving probably wouldn't work anyways. :(

clint282cc

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2011
?!?!?! im with daturbosix! why would you pay someone to take rubber off your tires?

i thought this was going to be a tire groove thread about making mud tires more aggressive... not taking rubber off street tires! if the tires are unbearable to drive with flat spots, what do you have to lose from doing burnouts??? SMOKE EM OFF!

**AND POST VIDEOS**

uofipilot

Regular
Jun 29, 2008
Bunch of comedians in here.....guess I should have expected it though. It's TCG afterall.:wiggle:

?!?!?! im with daturbosix! why would you pay someone to take rubber off your tires?

i thought this was going to be a tire groove thread about making mud tires more aggressive... not taking rubber off street tires! if the tires are unbearable to drive with flat spots, what do you have to lose from doing burnouts??? SMOKE EM OFF!

**AND POST VIDEOS**

They are the wheels/tires that are on my 1990 Mark VII, so I would prefer to not do a huge burnout with that car....only has 25k miles on it...its more a garage queen than a bitch. If the wheels would fit over the calipers of the Cobra, this problem would have been solved loooong ago.

I've got a wonderful idea. Buy a set of jack stands and take the wheels off the car when it sits.

Yeah, that is the plan going forward...that or a set of shitty wheels with bald tires if I can scare up a set that fits for a couple hundred.

In short, the tires are brand new (maybe 25 miles on them)...can still see the little colored stripes all the way around. That said, I do not drive the car very often (few hundred miles a year to keep it moving), so taking a few 32nds off a set of tires with a ton of tread that I will never go through is not really that big of a deal if it will fix the flat spots.

Sooooooo. Now that all the joksters have had their piece :hsughlol:....anywhere that provides this service? As a few mentioned, I will try to hear them up and drive a bit once the weather warms up. I tried that last fall, but it was already pretty cold out, so I doubt that the rubber temps got anywhere near high enough to help work out flat sopts. Assuming all of this does not work, does anyone know of a place that does this?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info