How To: $20 Code Reader (Must have Droid/smartphone)

6literEat'r

TCG Elite Member
Oct 21, 2008
i copy/pasted this from Chevy and GMC Duramax Forum, i bought this little device last night and am pretty interested in seeing how well it works...

Here's what you need:

- Droid (possibly any other smartphone or android based tablet will work, see below)

Don't ask me about compatablilty with other phones since all I've had experience with is my Droid X. Not trying to be a dick, just telling you up-front I don't know. It connects via bluetooth so I'm ASSUMING that if you have a smartphone that can install apps and has bluetooth, it'll work. Do the research first though to make sure. This may work with android based tablets as well as Iphones or Ipads.. Food for thought.
---------------------------------------------------------------
- Soliport ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner ($20)
Amazon.com: Soliport ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner, ELM327 wireless OBD 2 Scan tool check Engine Light CAR CODE READER: Office Products
Amazon.com: Soliport ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner, ELM327 wireless OBD 2 Scan tool check Engine Light CAR CODE READER: Office Products
This is the actual interface unit between the phone and the vehicle
-----------------------------------------------------------------
- Torque App (FREE) (Lite version is free, Pro version is $5.00) I use the Lite version and it works fine for reading/clearing codes.
Torque Lite (OBD2 & Car) - Android app on AppBrain

This is the App you need on your phone to interface your phone to the scanner.
------------------------------------------------------------------
It's a fairly straightforward process of hooking this to your phone.
Step 1. Turn your phone bluetooth on
Step 2. Plug the module into your ODB port
Step 3. Scan for devices to pair with your smartphone. (My scanner comes up as CBT dunno if it's the same for everyone. It will say paired but not connected.
Step 4. Open Torque and go to settings
Step 5. Under bluetooth devices choose your device to pair with and enter code 1,2,3,4. Exit back to the main screen.
Step 6. At the top of the screen it should say communicating with ECU and eventually connect with the ECU. If not, close the app and restart it. It should work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBOsOcpk-OQ

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
looking into this one righrt now.

minibluetoothelm327-1-1.jpg

Mini Bluetooth ELM327 for Android phone Device
Price: US$ 18.90

It supports all OBD-II protocols
Works with all OBD-II compliant vehicles
Mini Bluetooth ELM327 OBD2 Version
Support Android phone, Android apps such as Torque v1.2.47

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I just wanted to add info for iPhone owners who want to do this. It's not nearly as easy as it is for droid peeps.

Preface: You need to be jail broken if you want to use one of the cheap bluetooth elms like posted above. Wifi ones will work without being jailbroken but are more expensive. This is because apple does not allow pairing with just any bluetooth devises.

step 1) hop on cydia and download roqybt4. You'll either need to crack a license (just google it) or just man up and buy it (its $6 you cheap ass).

Step 2) download and setup vShare. Link: http://cydiaguide.com/how-to-download-vshare-cydia-using-vshare/

Step 3) use vShare to get DashCMD unless you want to pay the crazy price. Here I was a cheap ass for good reason!

Step 4) open roqybt4 and pair with the obd2 elm. You'll need to grab the port information for DashCMD

Step 5) open DashCMD and go to settings then obd2 port configuration. Enter the info from roqybt4.

Step 5) connect and enjoy.

All in all I have a code reader and parameter reader with my at all times for a grand total of $16. Can't beat that deal even if its a bit of a pain to set up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info