How do these bearings look?

These are only pictures of the outer cam bearing, and one mediocre picture of an internal one. Wasn't really sure how to get good detail on them, so I apologize for the crappy photos. Does anyone have tips for taking these pictures? I can run my finger over them and I can't really feel anything knicked.

From what you can make out do they seem okay to reuse?

I'm also going to be posting pictures of my main and connecting rod bearings tomorrow for the same stuff, they hopefully will pick up a little better.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
dsc00406gp.jpg

Looks like there is either grit or something right in the center of this one. I don't like the looks of that.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yeah what edsel said.

without mic'n em you cant really tell how good of shape they are, i do see debris embeded into the babit which is its job to keep the debrid from damaging the rest of the surface/journal etc.

problem is i can readily see grit and debris everywhere and its impossible to clean everything and clean the oil passages with those bearings in place...you can try but thats sorta at the "do i care if this much $$$ goes up in smoke" decision.

id say mic the journals and the bearing to see what the clearance is then decide but with how much grit i see in the crevices/etc i personally would want to pull it all apart.

what motor?

yeah what edsel said.

without mic'n em you cant really tell how good of shape they are, i do see debris embeded into the babit which is its job to keep the debrid from damaging the rest of the surface/journal etc.

problem is i can readily see grit and debris everywhere and its impossible to clean everything and clean the oil passages with those bearings in place...you can try but thats sorta at the "do i care if this much $$$ goes up in smoke" decision.

id say mic the journals and the bearing to see what the clearance is then decide but with how much grit i see in the crevices/etc i personally would want to pull it all apart.

what motor?

It's a 2.8 v6 stock fiero motor. There's not that much power to it, so I figured if getting the block mic'd would be more than a couple hundred, I would just go pick up something a little bigger and better and not waste my time with it

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
...just the bearings....i can see how you wanna be cheap but cheap is never cheap in the long run...just the tow back home from a blown motor can negate any savings.

it may be worth it to get a good shortblock that you dont need to futz with.

we picked up an 80-100k 03 3400 for 400$ on Clist a year back...the deals are there so at the least keep looking while you toss that motor together...it could be fine but cleaning that grit out would be challenging to say the least.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info