New DD.... Need some input

What should I get for the new DD

• Total voters

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
Well it's time for a new or newer DD. I just rolled 166k today in the grand prix and she's showing her age.

With that being said, I have a few thoughts for my new DD. But as always TCG's opinion is always considered lol.

Inserted is a poll of various vehicles that I want to consider as a DD.

I travel appox 45 miles round trip and it's all interstate. Lookong for something that's 4dr, sporty looking, ok gas mileage (25mpg or better) drive train is not an issue but manual is preferred not required.

Looking in the 25k range...

If there is a vehicle not on there just comment why it should be considered!

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
I posted that I like the two GM vehicles listed. The Terrain is a great small SUV but real world mileage sucks.

The G8 is awesome but you'd probally mod it and take time away from your other projects.

My other is of course a Cruze ECO. FOr the price and fuel mileage you cant beat it. It has a good feel to it and its peppy with the manual tranmission.

6literEat'r

TCG Elite Member
Oct 21, 2008
as for the 4 cylinder terrains...

i work at a gm dealers, and the most issues we've seen with em is the
waterpump/balance shaft timing chains stretch, and we have to replace the chain
and tensioner...also the high pressure fuel pump internally leaks into the crankcase
diluting the engine oil with fuel, thus setting rich codes..these are the 2 most commin
problems ive seen with the 4cyl version....just sayin.....good thing gm has a 100k powertrain warranty

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
I posted that I like the two GM vehicles listed. The Terrain is a great small SUV but real world mileage sucks.

The G8 is awesome but you'd probally mod it and take time away from your other projects.

My other is of course a Cruze ECO. FOr the price and fuel mileage you cant beat it. It has a good feel to it and its peppy with the manual tranmission.

Your absoultly right about the G8 lol but still when the first article ce out in far n driver I fell in love with it. They just look badass.

I was 50/50 about the terrain. I was planning on getting the 4cyl. I like the idea of having cargo room and passenger room. Now about hearing about those problems makes me kinda wanna steer clear of it.

I did consider the ECO. But it looks a bit on the small side. :dunno: I'm a slightly bigger guy at 6'1" and a stout 250 lol

I like the veloster. You won't be winning any stop light drags but it's peppy enough to be a fun daily driver.

I like their styling. Looks pretty sweet. I know they don't have the power. But getting decent mpg is more important than power lol unless it's the G8

Optima SX, great DD car. Of the choices listed that would be one and Veloster would be #2. Would also put the new dodge Dart on there. I think that thing looks awesome lol.

I was thinking the Dart. But how is it on being roomie on the inside?

I'm really diggin' the new 300's lately

Too much baller status lol

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Your absoultly right about the G8 lol but still when the first article ce out in far n driver I fell in love with it. They just look badass.

I was 50/50 about the terrain. I was planning on getting the 4cyl. I like the idea of having cargo room and passenger room. Now about hearing about those problems makes me kinda wanna steer clear of it.

I did consider the ECO. But it looks a bit on the small side. :dunno: I'm a slightly bigger guy at 6'1" and a stout 250 lol

the cruze eco is in no way an exciting car to drive i wouldnt even call it pepy lol, 0-60 is around 9 seconds, but im 6' 230 and i fit just fine i dont even have to put the seat all the way back, and the last tank of gas got me a 44mpg average

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
as for the 4 cylinder terrains...

i work at a gm dealers, and the most issues we've seen with em is the
waterpump/balance shaft timing chains stretch, and we have to replace the chain
and tensioner...also the high pressure fuel pump internally leaks into the crankcase
diluting the engine oil with fuel, thus setting rich codes..these are the 2 most commin
problems ive seen with the 4cyl version....just sayin.....good thing gm has a 100k powertrain warranty

Dude I make my entire living replacing chains on 4cyl ecotecs on equinoxes. The job pays 4.2 but I've got it down to ~2 hours depending if I have other work to do that day. The last couple that I've had needed entire cylinder heads as well because the people ran them low on oil and the front timing chain shoe cracks in half because the oil tensioner can't keep the chain tight. The chain then grinds through the bolt and slips over the cam actuators and the pistons bend all the valves. I've literally had 3 in the last 2 weeks do this!

Here's the broken guide and the bolt
b4cf845066ae3f4440e4b31d55f721c3.jpg

Switching out the cams
fdec5a47cd7ff2d3dda89967dce6ce19.jpg

All new valves
3d48ebb86d70e9bfc349f32336981179.jpg

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Honestly I feel it's a great car, these customers just don't make sure they have proper oil level in the engine since they have the oil life monitor to tell them when to change the oil. I mean yes of course you can go by the oil life monitor, but you also have to check and make sure you aren't 3 quarts low when you hit 7500 miles since your last change. People that just get the oil changed at 3000 miles never have this problem

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Dude veloster turbo is the way to go! I used to have a CTSV which was a badass car that nobody knew about.... People never gave me a second look. Now I have a VT and people snap their necks trying to figure out wtf it is! And the gadgets and interior are amazing. Live weather radar, iphone app that lets you lock and unlock car, keyless go, and free oil changes from Hyundai if you meet certain fuel economy goals... I can't say enough

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
I would look into a 2010 and up Subaru WRX. It will get mid 20's on the highway and you get the benefit of AWD. If they aren't modded too hard, they are known to last a while.

Never thought about a WRX....

X2 on the Dart 1.4T. 6 speed manual or DDCT. We love ours so far and around town we average 34mpg on the computer. But I like boost too much...

I'm 6'2" and filled out :rofl: and fit comfortably in it. There's plenty of room.

Thats good to know! I am assuming its very peppy and quick but of course no where being fast. Good MPG for havig a heavy foot lol.

Dude veloster turbo is the way to go! I used to have a CTSV which was a badass car that nobody knew about.... People never gave me a second look. Now I have a VT and people snap their necks trying to figure out wtf it is! And the gadgets and interior are amazing. Live weather radar, iphone app that lets you lock and unlock car, keyless go, and free oil changes from Hyundai if you meet certain fuel economy goals... I can't say enough

That pretty enticing :pedobear:

Thread Info