Grinding noise while in gear and turning right

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
grinding noise?!
you're probably hearing the sound of Big Poppa Pump's miniscule brain trying to function at a normal level.

RyZXM.png

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
The grinding doesn't occur unless the car is in gear. It occurs even while stopped and just turning the wheel which makes me think it's not a wheel bearing. I had the trans rebuilt a year ago and both wheel bearings have been replaced within the last couple years.

Anyone know replacement cost? I'm guessing a couple hundred?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Looks like a drive axle is only around $70 so I may take the car to a mechanic tomorrow and get it diagnosed. I'm hoping the problem is in the axle itself and not in the trans.

The noise is a prolonged grinding sound sort of like gears not meshing correctly. Turning the wheels to the left does nothing. Only the right turn produces the sound.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I hope its not something internal but it could be a binding CV.

Thanks, Rich. Since the motor runs fine when in neutral, I think it's most likely either trans or CV related. I'm guessing it's either in the boot or where the axle meets the trans. Hopefully CV since I have no idea what's necessary to fix it if it's trans related.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info