Pontiac GP's? Whats the dillio?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
With GTPs, for less than $500 in parts you can drop a second off the stock ET, from high 14s to high 13s, and still get 30 mpg on the highway. They are cheap to mod and the blocks are fairly bulletproof -- one vendor went 8s on a junkyard bottom end.

However, they have an inherent rust problem that effects almost all 97-03 models no matter how well you take care of them.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
When I first started on this site I was wondering about the swinging on the cars as well. Being on here for a while now, I do not knock the cars at all. I think they look pretty good, the performance is damn good for a relatively low price, and quite surprising.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Yeah, I ran 13.40s with rockers, mild pulley, headers, canned tune and supporting mods. Guys go plenty faster with intercoolers, smaller pulleys and turbos.

Would love to find another clean one and turbo it. Or buy Mooks old Daytona :io: I'd feel like a dick driving that in the winter, though, since it's so pristine.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
I have always like the Pontiac GP's. But I never knew of their cult like following. Whats the dillio yo?

I have noticed that there seems to be quite a few Pontiac GP owners and fans of the GP? What is it about them that you guys like, performance mods, power output etc etc.

Enlighten me please.

Cult following here on this site. Was becasue if you trace the roots all the way back it was a grand prix club. Back in it's hay days was nothing to get 20-40 cars all in one place. I never went but they had some monster mod day events. People camping out and working all night on cars. And used to be a huge gathering once a year in Kansas(?) Even GM was there.
The main attraction was larger vehicle, leather,steering wheel controls,Head's Up display. All things way ahead of most vehicles in 1997-2000. And easy to mod, of couse a lot got blown up not knowing the correct supporting mods back then...lol
And it was a sleeper, most people had no clue there was a supercharger under the hood. So was easy to stomp on some punk in a honda or a old man in his jag that thought they would take the lane away from you....

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
speaking of which...anything new on the daytona, angus?

Nope! and that's the problem... And my job is making me start to need to drive a lot more. I had to leave it at o'hare a couple of weeks ago!

Currently searching for replacement DD vehicle. I'll give anyone on TCG a screamin' deal if they are interested in the Daytona though.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
When I first started on this site I was wondering about the swinging on the cars as well. Being on here for a while now, I do not knock the cars at all. I think they look pretty good, the performance is damn good for a relatively low price, and quite surprising.

I want to hug you a little bit I think.

Yeah, I ran 13.40s with rockers, mild pulley, headers, canned tune and supporting mods. Guys go plenty faster with intercoolers, smaller pulleys and turbos.

Would love to find another clean one and turbo it. Or buy Mooks old Daytona :io: I'd feel like a dick driving that in the winter, though, since it's so pristine.

:werd: I want the daytona.

It still scares me when I see them all rotted out by the rear wheel wells and gas door.

I really liked mine. Keeping the exhaust quiet is key to making them sound good....sc noise over powering the exhaust note :rofl:

:werd:

also. they are fuckign beasts in the snow.

:rofl: :werd:

Mine sounded nice at idle but that was it. Any supercharged one just sounds like a pissed off lawn mower at anything other then idle.

yup

Cult following here on this site. Was becasue if you trace the roots all the way back it was a grand prix club. Back in it's hay days was nothing to get 20-40 cars all in one place. I never went but they had some monster mod day events. People camping out and working all night on cars. And used to be a huge gathering once a year in Kansas(?) Even GM was there.
The main attraction was larger vehicle, leather,steering wheel controls,Head's Up display. All things way ahead of most vehicles in 1997-2000. And easy to mod, of couse a lot got blown up not knowing the correct supporting mods back then...lol
And it was a sleeper, most people had no clue there was a supercharger under the hood. So was easy to stomp on some punk in a honda or a old man in his jag that thought they would take the lane away from you....

tcg existed seperately from ilgpc for quite some time on its own. then tcg absorbed ilgpc.

I will be wearing a cup all weekend long.

:fy:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info