Old Muscle vs. new Muscle

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Forgive me if this type of subject has been covered already. Just wondering how you guys feel about classic muscle cars vs. new muscle cars.

obviously you can't get better than big block classics from the 60's and early 70's.

My subject does not ask which car would win in a race ( 70 chevelle vs the new shelby mustang ).

I guess i want to know if you were in the market for a toy, would you opt for a newer vehicle or a classic.

Each has their drawbacks and some guys may be hardcore old school and some guys may want all of the new suspension and electrical technology of today's cars.

There is a larger point here...that pertains to me....but we can cover that after some opinions are expressed.

As K J would say...
" and go "

:drums:

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
Eventually new will become classics. It will just take 50 years.
I personally love the fact that today's muscle cars have great power, breaking, suspension, and gas mileage compared to old school muscle. Not to mention they are safer cars. And you get power windows and doors and other unique stuff for today's technology

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I have zero interest in ever having a classic car in stock form as a hobby car. It would be different if I had a crap ton of money and could afford multiple hobby cars. I like that I can take my car any where in any conditions and enjoy it. I love the look and sound of old muscle and appreciate it but it's not for me. On the other hand an old car with a modern drive train and tires is awesome. Eventually when I have a house and some expendable income I want to pick up a '73 stingray or early 2nd gen -body and drop an LS3 in and do the whole pro-touring treatment. Until then I will stick with modern cars.

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
good feedback so far guys.

1 thing to remember, when i refer to a classic, it doesn't mean numbers matching all original.
it can be a resto mod with a crate engine and upgraded suspension....yada yada yada.

when i bought my camaro i was living in chicago and my parents parked in the garage.
so, buying a "project" car was not feasible.

Now that I am in the burbs and have a garage things are different. all i need is the funds.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
It it was for an investment type thing I'd buy an old stock muscle car special edition or rare optioned car. If it was something to drive I'd do an old body with new motor and modern suspension car and then just like my Camaro now I'd drive it all the time. Modern motors are super fuel efficient, reliable, and make way more power per CI than the old muscle cars. The only Muscle Cars that were actually decent were the Big Block cars and even among the Big Block cars only a few of the high output cars really made serious power. So I guess no. I'd not want an old muscle cars as they were built as a toy.

I always love to look at this list of times of the old muscle... DRAG TESTS 1960 - 1972

Its really crazy how the M4 cars were soo much faster than the Autos and just how horribly slow all the small block and even some of the Big block cars really were. Most of them don't make it past the 100 mph trap speed.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
way too many of those newer cars, way too many cookie cutter heaps, i prefer something not as common, which usually means older.

call me odd but it just doesnt give me the jollies to have one of a crapload of mustangs/camaro's/vettes etc that everyone else also has
they will not be as collectible as the older stuff unless your refering to special editions, the newer stuff is far higher production #'s than the old stuff

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
It it was for an investment type thing I'd buy an old stock muscle car special edition or rare optioned car. If it was something to drive I'd do an old body with new motor and modern suspension car and then just like my Camaro now I'd drive it all the time. Modern motors are super fuel efficient, reliable, and make way more power per CI than the old muscle cars. The only Muscle Cars that were actually decent were the Big Block cars and even among the Big Block cars only a few of the high output cars really made serious power. So I guess no. I'd not want an old muscle cars as they were built as a toy.

I always love to look at this list of times of the old muscle... DRAG TESTS 1960 - 1972

Its really crazy how the M4 cars were soo much faster than the Autos and just how horribly slow all the small block and even some of the Big block cars really were. Most of them don't make it past the 100 mph trap speed.

i have one of my dad's old magazines and it has the fastest 50 cars of the muscle car era...i have to find it.
1. shelby
2. corvette stongray ( not sure which year )
3 70 buick gs 455 stage 1 ( my dad had a 72 GS 455 Stage 1 )

I'd have a 78 TA with 2012 engine, interior, and suspension.

i'd leave the 78 interior, but LS3 and suspension works !!

way too many of those newer cars, way too many cookie cutter heaps, i prefer something not as common, which usually means older.

call me odd but it just doesnt give me the jollies to have one of a crapload of mustangs/camaro's/vettes etc that everyone else also has
they will not be as collectible as the older stuff unless your refering to special editions, the newer stuff is far higher production #'s than the old stuff

well put, 4th gen F-bodies were a big thing...now....they are run of the mill.
i still love my car and it would be hard to part with it....i will have it for 10 years in september

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
You cant beat the old school styling. To me there is just something about old school muscle that says cool. Like the years 68-72 vette, camaro, novas, chevelles.
I agree w/ Pewter the power is not there like modern cars. You had to do some big cams and head setups to make nice power w/ a nice gear. Plus all the cars back there were fat ladies.

Now all modern cars are in the 3600lb range or less for the exception of the new challengers and camaros pushing the 4k lb mark. The modern technology makes awesome power.

As an example; sbc 350 back in the day made maybe 300fwhp where now a modern 346 ci LS1 makes more than that on a tune only. Its amazing what 40+ years of technology made.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I guess for me it really depends on the car and the situation. There are older muscle cars that I would love to have and love to keep stock (Hemi Mopars if I could ever afford them for example) but other cars that are so abundant in stock form, could not keep it stock, early Mustang's are one of those that I would love to do a "resto-mod" with modern suspension, motor, etc.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
I grew up around classic cars, my dad's had a ton over the last few decades. The last one I remember him having was a 440 6-pack 69 Roadrunner and 65 Impala SS. I'm a big fan of all the new muscle, but they'll never the same as cars from the 60's and 70's IMO.

Yeah sure, easier to drive...more comfortable..safer. yadayadayada.

Just love the feel and smell of the old muscle. I would have to have something to mess around with, along with 1 or 2 that I'd keep factory stock and only take to shows and things like that.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I don't have the patience or skill to fix rust or body work of an older car; plus people ask too much money for hunks of shit from the muscle car era. Someday I'd like to build an old car with modern powertrain and suspension, but for now I'll stick with late model cars that, stock, will outperform just about anything made in the 60s.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
You can't beat the mpg, reliability and ease of fuel injection... Look at what stock engines are holding up to... From all three major camps... Ls motors love boost like a hooker loves cock, Ford 4vs love life more than fat kids get diabetes and the newer hemis are solid as shit as well... Additionally something engineers built today is going to always be better than some restomod... Albeit nowhere as unique or fun, cars such as restomods or whatever will always have their gremlins.. New gt500s have warranties and run tens with air conditioning with quite ease... Nuff said

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Bru bringing the PAIN !! :rofl:

I do not have the mechanical skill to rebuild a classic, nor do i possess the knowledge for the body work. A project would be nice if money were available to build it the way you want.
im sure its easy to assume that buying a vehicle already restored / modded costs less then doing all the work yourself. that shit adds up, my old boss @ the dealer bought a 55 chevy and even though it was in good shape, he tore it down and was working on a rottisserie (sp? ) restoration. Money was coming out of his ears for all sorts of odds and ends.

aside from a project, purchasing a nicely done classic can cost you the same amount as a newer sports car.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
It sounds like new muscle would fit the bill a bit better then old muscle for you honestly.
Old cars are quirky and have issues even when they're in nice condition.

New cars either have a warranty or aren't far out of warranty and probably will only need maintenance etc.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
im sure its easy to assume that buying a vehicle already restored / modded costs less then doing all the work yourself. that shit adds up, my old boss @ the dealer bought a 55 chevy and even though it was in good shape, he tore it down and was working on a rottisserie (sp? ) restoration. Money was coming out of his ears for all sorts of odds and ends.

aside from a project, purchasing a nicely done classic can cost you the same amount as a newer sports car.

I agree with that. My dad's friend from HS is restoring his 70 Challenger T/A, and he's in the process of putting it all back together after basically a nut/bolt style resto. He said that he keeps getting $500'ed to death. Everything coming back is at least that. The car is original everything though, he's owned it since the early 70's and it only has 30k on it. So he's having a lot of things restored instead of buying them new. The alternator, carb, distributor, etc etc. All are date coded from 1970 and are original to the car, so I'd do the same thing instead of tossing them and buying new shit.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
It sounds like new muscle would fit the bill a bit better then old muscle for you honestly.
Old cars are quirky and have issues even when they're in nice condition.

New cars either have a warranty or aren't far out of warranty and probably will only need maintenance etc.

Eh, it's the same as a new car IMO. New(er) cars can have just as much bullshit go wrong with it as old stuff. Once the car is aged a bit and used for sure. My dad's Monte Carlo has had the least amount of issues in the 8 years he's had it, then the 6 or so cars the family's had/has in that time span. Granted, it's half the age of most muscle cars but still. A 6 year old GTO can have just as much stupid crap go wrong with it as an older car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info