Car review: Porsche Cayenne edition

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
My sister in law asked me to sell her 2010 Cayenne so I went to go grab it. What a disappointment. I was actually excited to drive this because I thought they had at least a V8 and because I heard they handled superbly for giant SUVs. What followed was disappointment on an epic level. Where to start...

Interior

It sucks. The Cayenne is a platform mate of the Touareg. VW & Porsche worked with each other to build a common platform and then stopped collaborating after a certain point, leaving the other to outfit their vehicles as they saw fit. Given this, the comparison to a Touareg is natural and that's unfortunate because the Touareg has an absolutely awesome interior, even in 2004 which is what I'm comparing this to since the 2010 Cayenne's interior is the same as the 2004's.

The VW's interior is more comparable to an Audi than most VW's. It's laid out nicely, it's roomy, it's elegant yet simplistic and it's well equipped. Conversely, the Porsche suffers from a cheap feel that all early - mid 2000's Porsches had. It looks like Porsche and VW accidentally swapped interiors. The VW is just so much better. There is a textured dash in the Porsche, hard plastic center stack, plastic-y doors and just a really cheap "looks like it was molded" look. It's not good.

Features

If they want to market this thing as an economical way to get into a Porsche, great but then actually make it economical or put some gadgets in it. This is a 50k SUV and other than navigation, it has nothing in it. No options really means no options. You get heated seats, an antiquated navigation system, a non-branded stereo system (Bose is optional), nothing. I could buy a fully optioned Touareg for this money and it would look better too.

Handling

I didn't want to beat up on my sis-in-law's truck but you can get a feel for it on onramps/ off ramps, turning, lane changing, etc. It's awesome here. It feels like a sports car. It's tighter than my A8, probably not as much as the BMW but the fact that I can even make that comparison should say something. This is the base suspension too. The optional air suspension adds the same style hydraulic sway bars that the BMW has as well as a (you guessed it) air suspension. Overall it was by far the best SUV I've driven as far as lack of body roll goes.

Acceleration

A 290hp V6 in a Porsche truck? Where do they get they get the audacity? It's slow. It's really slow. It sounds pretty nice at least but it's painfully slow. When I got in it I assumed the base model had a V8 and when I went to merge on the expressway I thought it was broken. I get home, pop the hood and bam: 3.6 liter V6.

And here's what pisses me off about this thing... It's a slap in the face to both those that know about cars and those that don't. It compromises everywhere yet still commands a premium price tag. It is the epitome of buying something for a brand name and for people that might not know a lot about cars/ trucks but want something exciting, I can see how they might expect even a base model Porsche SUV to be above average. It's not. It's slow, poorly equipped, poorly built and ugly. Even if it wasn't a Porsche, this isn't something I'd pay 30k for let alone 50k. The Touareg is better in just about every respect, least of which is the fact that it doesn't have the stance of an overweight, awkward teenager.

How this SUV is as popular as it is is beyond me, especially when you consider that most of them are base model trucks.

I did like one thing... The headlights are both adaptive and they have additional side markers that come on when you turn. So the headlights themselves steer and then when you're making a turn, another light comes up and lights where you're going. But what I really liked about the lights is that the brights are like the sun. I actually had to consciously turn them off as I was coming to the end of a street because I was afraid I was giving the people in the house in front of me a sun burn.

Other than that, I rate this thing a C-.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Well duh, you are reviewing the entry level model. I can tell you that the GTS that my friend had was a great vehicle. It drove like a Porsche, the V8 was responsive and sounded throaty, and the interior was very luxurious.

Well they're still commanding a premium for the entry level model. That's my complaint. Why even build it? You're Porsche. Sure Ferrari could build something that appeals to the masses and is affordable to them but why dilute your brand with shit?

It's ugly, it's slow, the interior is sub-par, it's featureless, it's expensive, it gets bad gas mileage. It does NOTHING well that matters. You're giving in to all of the compromises and getting nothing in return other than a Porsche logo. Just because it's expected that the entry level model would be crap doesn't make it ok and even still... I reject the notion that an entry level Porsche should be crap, SUV or not. They don't build a garbage entry level 911 to appeal to the masses though with the success of the Cayenne perhaps they should. Then again, there is the Boxster but at least the Boxster is a somewhat unique car with little competition. The Cayenne is a cookie cutter SUV, a vehicle so sub-par when compared to it's significantly cheaper competition that it seems as if it's brazenly saying "I'm crap but you'll still buy me".

I can tell you its actually (likely) a 3.2 (earlier years had them) shared with audi/vw.

Have driven 2008 v8 "s" and it was honestly pretty fun. A base was being bought to be in a porsche in most cases.

No, it's a 3.6 liter direct injection V6. The 3.2 was even worse. I think that sported 250hp.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I want one of the diesel Touregs soo bad, would be perfect fam suv for the wife imo.

Those are hot and they're pretty fast for what they are too.

My buddy was telling me that they were having problems with them spinning the rims on the tires before they brought them to the US. I'm not sure what kind of truth there is to that but holy hell...

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
It's ugly, it's slow, the interior is sub-par, it's featureless, it's expensive, it gets bad gas mileage. It does NOTHING well that matters. You're giving in to all of the compromises and getting nothing in return other than a Porsche logo. Just because it's expected that the entry level model would be crap doesn't make it ok and even still... I reject the notion that an entry level Porsche should be crap, SUV or not. They don't build a garbage entry level 911 to appeal to the masses though with the success of the Cayenne perhaps they should. Then again, there is the Boxster but at least the Boxster is a somewhat unique car with little competition. The Cayenne is a cookie cutter SUV, a vehicle so sub-par when compared to it's significantly cheaper competition that it seems as if it's brazenly saying "I'm crap but you'll still buy me".

You are looking at it from an enthusiast viewpoint. The enthusiast is going to buy the GTS or Turbo.

Frankly, Porsche builds the V6 since it sells to the target audience. People probably cross shop the RX350, ML, and Acura MDX. The Cayenne is a better performing car than all of those.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Those are hot and they're pretty fast for what they are too.

My buddy was telling me that they were having problems with them spinning the rims on the tires before they brought them to the US. I'm not sure what kind of truth there is to that but holy hell...

I believe it, I read an article once where they chained it to an F250 diesel and it pulled the 3/4ton ford. :fy:

Oh, hey, 553tq at 2000 rpms. ...likes this.

5.0 V10 TDI 2002ā€“2007 4,921 cc (300.3 cu in) V10 Turbo 313 PS (230 kW; 309 bhp) @3750, 750 NĀ·m (553 lbfĀ·ft) @ 2,000

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
You are looking at it from an enthusiast viewpoint. The enthusiast is going to buy the GTS or Turbo.

Frankly, Porsche builds the V6 since it sells to the target audience. People probably cross shop the RX350, ML, and Acura MDX. The Cayenne is a better performing car than all of those.

That's an opinion... one I don't agree with. This is a review, also opinion. I get your point but I'm not really arguing about why it exists. I know there's a market for it. I'm not debating the fact that a base model vehicle is going to be option-less. I know this too. That's not what my complaint about the truck is. Just because there is a market for something doesn't mean it has to exist. Can you imagine how much money Ferrari or Lamborghini could make by popping out a mediocre sports car for the masses? There's a reason they don't.

You can debate that but my opinion is my opinion. I know why it exists; I argue for why it shouldn't. I know that a base model car is going to be light on options; I question why a base version of this vehicle should exist at all, much less at the price point it sits at.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I believe it, I read an article once where they chained it to an F250 diesel and it pulled the 3/4ton ford. :fy:

Oh, hey, 553tq at 2000 rpms. ...likes this.

5.0 V10 TDI 2002ā€“2007 4,921 cc (300.3 cu in) V10 Turbo 313 PS (230 kW; 309 bhp) @3750, 750 NĀ·m (553 lbfĀ·ft) @ 2,000

They're supposed to be butter smooth too... I wanted a Touraeg when we were getting my wife an SUV but she liked the XC90. I wish I had vetoed that. Then again, she probably would have vetoed my face.

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
They're supposed to be butter smooth too... I wanted a Touraeg when we were getting my wife an SUV but she liked the XC90. I wish I had vetoed that. Then again, she probably would have vetoed my face.

haha yeah they can do that. I have a cust that has 2 of them in minty condition, been trying to get him to cut me a deal for a couple years now with no luck. Fucking things are going for like $25k with 100k miles on them.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
That's an opinion... one I don't agree with. This is a review, also opinion. I get your point but I'm not really arguing about why it exists. I know there's a market for it. I'm not debating the fact that a base model vehicle is going to be option-less. I know this too. That's not what my complaint about the truck is. Just because there is a market for something doesn't mean it has to exist. Can you imagine how much money Ferrari or Lamborghini could make by popping out a mediocre sports car for the masses? There's a reason they don't.

You can debate that but my opinion is my opinion. I know why it exists; I argue for why it shouldn't. I know that a base model car is going to be light on options; I question why a base version of this vehicle should exist at all, much less at the price point it sits at.

You missed my point. To the target audience, it isnā€™t a ā€œmediocreā€ car. The guy that is an enthusiast who wants more hp, a dynamic ride, and more luxury will pony up for the higher trims. Thatā€™s like saying why did BMW produce such a mediocre car in the 328 base model? Itā€™s an entry level car to try to get people in the brand.

At the end of the day, Porsche is laughing all the way to the bank as they have strong demand for the Cayenne. If Porsche didnā€™t have the demand for the entry level models, there would be no business case for the GTS or Turbo/Turbo S. Thatā€™s why it exists.

Oh and Lambo is coming out with an SUV:wink:

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Oh and Lambo is coming out with an SUV:wink:

But it wont be a mediocre entry level sports car..

..as usual I agree with Mike Ks opinon on this one. There should never be a slow porsche, ferrari, or lambo.

Speaking of sick SUVs, a customer just traded in his wifes Escalade for the new X5m or whatever that is with the TT V8, black on black with some fat ass rubber in the back. Thing looks nasty and is about 550hp i think, not a bad grocery getter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info