So I cracked the trans case in my truck last night...

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
Thats right. On the way back from Lukes did a little pull past one of my buddies and heard a funny noise. Didn't really think too much of it, just thought I ran something over.

As I get closer to home I start smelling trans fluid :fu: pulled in the driveway, look underneath and I see a puddle. Thought to myself... well, that cant be good. Put it on the lift and the underside of the truck is covered in fluid and sure enough there is a hairline crack in the Tremec T5 trans case.

Texted my buddy this morning to see if he smelled anything when I passed him and he said it smelled like a little more than oil and there was quite a bit of smoke (trans fluid on exhaust). :rofl:

Moral of the story: I am building a bigger SBF stroker motor (boost?) and it is getting backed with a Tremec TKO 600. The hot rod will be making a lot of Lukes appearances until the build is complete. Ranger will be back in action late this year or in the spring.

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
The crack is up on the tailshaft housing and it seems to be right along a casting mark/imperfection. Trans only has 4000 miles on it since I bought it new from tremec. Might be worth giving them a call to see what they say? Maybe I can send them the trans and have them put a new tailshaft housing on it since it seems like a casting flaw. I've always had a slight seep around that area so that kind of raises a point of interest. Has that little crack always been there?

Kind of frustrating, but since I decided a few days ago that I am building a new motor and a better trans I'm not too mad. I'd just like to repair this one so I can sell it off. Selling the all forged bottom end AFR head equipped 306 small block as well.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
The crack is up on the tailshaft housing and it seems to be right along a casting mark/imperfection. Trans only has 4000 miles on it since I bought it new from tremec. Might be worth giving them a call to see what they say? Maybe I can send them the trans and have them put a new tailshaft housing on it since it seems like a casting flaw. I've always had a slight seep around that area so that kind of raises a point of interest. Has that little crack always been there?

Kind of frustrating, but since I decided a few days ago that I am building a new motor and a better trans I'm not too mad. I'd just like to repair this one so I can sell it off. Selling the all forged bottom end AFR head equipped 306 small block as well.

Sprayin might be interested in that motor for his Fiero.

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
T5's are known to do this when you put power at them.

Sorry to hear this. Good luck with getting them to fix it and on your future build.

:werd: I know I am over the limit for the trans, but the casting flaw raises questions. It would be nice to get a tail shaft housing from them even if I have to pay and then fix it myself. Maybe I'll take it off and send it in to them and see what they think.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info