Paint newb

Charlie_Boy7

Addict
May 10, 2010
University Park, IL
Real Name
Charles
Ive been thinkin its about time to stop taking a rattle can to everything and make my next project car awesome. i have an air compressor, so i was looking to get a spray gun or something. After searching today i realized there are like a million types and the prices vary significantly. So im like :dunno: how do i know what would be better for me? For example: i see some load from the bottom and some from the top, i can only assume that the "top loading" ones are better..

Also since its not gonna be the whole rattle can deal, where would be decent place to obtain automotive paint? like even the stuff for the flexible bumpers and so on.

School me on this? any advice that would give me an idea on what to look for or avoid would be awesome:bigthumb:

jvert

Go Bulls and Cubs
Jul 27, 2006
I would visit some auto paint forums. Im not a painter at all but I've heard to find a big enough compressor that wont kick on and off so much as you spray. You want the most constant pressure as you are spraying. Also, to make sure you have the correct tools. I dont know what its called but they are some special hose adaptors that prevent any water mixing with the paint as you spray from the condensed air in the compressor. Like you said it it takes time and practice. Im glad your giving it a go. Post up and let us know how it goes.

Venomblue22

If you only knew
Mar 7, 2005
The guns that load from the bottom = Old technology, cant do much with them, as in turn them sideways etc, they are also illegal here in illinois if your using them in any sort of business setting. With guns, the cheaper they are, the crappier the spray job. Basicly you get what you pay for. If you want the best you buy a SATA, great atomization, even spray field. Best on the market. Also if your using any sort of compressor, you need to get a drier to hook in line with your comp. any water in the lines will cuase blotchynes and fish eyes. You should also have two separite guns, one for base coat, one for clear coat, and never interchange. There is also different tips. 3.0 being one of the largest (mainly primers) Clears and base coats spray different with different tips (atomize different) If your interested I can get you in contact with a guy that sels everything you need to do the job, from the guns, to the paint to the driers, sand papers etc. He would be able to point you in the right direction and might even have (might) used guns or special deals going etc. If anything he would be able to point u in the right direction. PM me if you want moar (info that is)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.