Beware: Modular Head Shop

BADASS03SVT

Jan 7, 2010
First week of January Modular Head Shop received my Ford 4 valve heads for a port job. I was advised by Nick that with their current work load it would be 5 or 6 weeks. Towards the end of january I asked for an update to which I was told "I haven't opened the boxes yet". When I asked if it was going to be 5-6 weeks form that pint I was told no it would be much faster.

February 7th I get an email saying my heads are no good. I was sent a picture which was NOT my head but was told it was a similar issue. I was given a couple options and chose to take a set he had already done off of his shelf. We were still waiting on a cam set form Bullet at this time. Around the 3rd week of February I was told cams were on the way, i should have them next week and assemble your heads. I asked for an update mid week and was told no cams yet they didn't ship. The following week I ask for an update and was told cams are in, expect to ship thur or fri. Friday evening comes and i hear nothing so send another email. At this time I hear nothing form Modular Head Shop for 10 days. I sent several emails and made 1 or 2 calls and no response. The middle of the next week I get a tracking number and I finally received heads and cams on March 14th. I inspected them and told my engine builder I would be down the next day with them.

On March 15th I brought the heads to my engine builder about 400 miles away and they said they will build it in a week or two. On March 26 I get an email from my engine builder stating "

"I listed the cam bore/cam journal clearances for one head, other head is similar. This clearance problem will reduce oil supply to the shortblock in a large way and flood the cylinder head with oil as well as reduce oil pressure at all bearing positions.
The cam journals were sanded which causes a belly in the middle and high on the ends, the bores were sanded creating out of round and taper. This was done to allow the cams to turn on a badly warped cylinder head. I cannot install these heads at L&M. You may install them or have others do it. I also listed the valve seat leakage which is higher than normal."

That email had some measurements in it which we out of Ford spec. I contacted Nick @ Modular Head Shop and forwarded him the email and he agreed to take the heads and cams back for a full refund. The heads were boxed up and sent back to Modular Head Shop via UPS with his own return labels on March 30th

On April 4th Modular Head Shop received the heads / cams and i was sent an email asking if my address was correct for the refund check. I replied immediately that it was. on Wednesday April 11th i still had no check so I sent another email to both Modular Head Shops secretary and to Nick. No answer.

On April 13 I receive an email form Nick stating that there is a problem. One of the heads was busted during shipping (he received them 8 days ago at this point). I emailed Nick back and told him I wasn't sure why you are telling me. I did not ship or package up the heads. I think you need to contact the person that did and / or the shipping company. No answer

Monday I sent an email to Nick stating if we couldn't end this this week with a check in my hand, further action would have to be taken legally and publicly. Of course he tried calling me immediately but I was at dinner. So today I called Nick and he stated that he will be docking me $1000 from my refund of $3500 because of the damaged head. Several times I told him i had no hand in packing, sending or driving them to him so why am I getting fucked over? His response was he sent the boxes with styrofoam on the top and bottom. I DID remove the top piece at home to inspect the heads. Then I threw the boxes in my truck and brought them to the motor shop. When the motor shop sent them back, they did not have that top styrofoam piece so its my fault for supplying incorrect packaging so he is taking $1000.

Not ONCE has Nick apologized for any of the this ordeal. I waited over 3 months which was double what I was told. I got heads and cams that were inspected by one of the best Mod motor engine builders out there (Mike @ L&M Engines) and they were deemed to be junk. Now I, the customer, am being blamed for the packaging and shipping of the head back to him and I'm getting docked $1000. He has ruined my racing season, taken my money and taken my supposedly "junk" heads. He stated and I quote....Tell everyone you want, post it everywhere, there are 2 sides to every story and I will tell mine" If I have to never do another set of 4 valve heads again I don't care".

Your a class act buddy. I can only imagine the unsuspecting people running around with your out of spec and warped heads right now or the future people that have had their heads sitting in your shop for weeks upon weeks now.

If you do have heads, inspect them real good people. Another member of the Mod motor community just put his motor together with Nick's heads and is having issues that are pointing to valve seat leakage right now. Good luck to all involved.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Call a lawyer and have them send a letter to Nick. There's no reason you shouldn't get a full refund. The product you purchased was never delivered.

Are single stock 4v castings really worth $1k?!! Doubtful. Would love to see how they came to $1k.

Sucks to see anyone screwed like this, but your story will get around and it will hurt their business of they don't make it right.

BADASS03SVT

Jan 7, 2010
Call a lawyer and have them send a letter to Nick. There's no reason you shouldn't get a full refund. The product you purchased was never delivered.

Are single stock 4v castings really worth $1k?!! Doubtful. Would love to see how they came to $1k.

Sucks to see anyone screwed like this, but your story will get around and it will hurt their business of they don't make it right.

this was my LAST resort. I would never want to post this online to "hurt" someone. But when i told him I would and he said go ahead I figured it was needed.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
I hate hearing stories like this, performance businesses NEED to realize that we DONT have to spend all this money on car stuff but we chose to, the last thing I wanna do is get ripped off for something I didnt need to buy

good luck and I hope they make it right

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Spam the internet with this... If they assembled the heads and checked specs on them then they knew about this which means they intentionally sold you a bad product, delivered it late and then tried to keep some of your money when they got called out on it.

Did you pay with a credit/ debit card? You often have up to a year to file a chargeback with most credit cards, definitely at least 6 months though.

If it's exactly as you say it is, I'd hop on every forum they are on and put their feet to the fire. Make them respond to you in public.

BADASS03SVT

Jan 7, 2010
There are 2 sides to a story and 3 issues to this one.

First the heads have increased oil clearance at the cam journals, rather than get long winded here are my findings on that:

ModularHeadShop Articles on the Cobra head tick

Second the valve job was out of round. The shop that did the seat work for me missed it and I missed it. Since my name are on the heads I took the responsibility 100% and offered a full 100% refund and sent out the UPS call tags to pick them up on my dime. I don’t want heads with bad seats out in the field, it should have been caught on 2 different occasions before leaving and it wasn’t. That’s all on me (and boy it won’t happen again) Anyone who builds engines and/or heads and has never had a mistake probably ain’t built enough of them yet. Its what you do to correct it that is the most important thing. I said I would take the heads back no problem, and I have brought the seat work in house now on a new style live/dead pilot system (I was the first customer for this new system) and it is being scrutinized to the finest detail and working sweet so far.

Third anytime you return an item you purchased anywhere its up to you to get it back safely. When they arrived back as scrap metal how can you say its my fault that the shop you left them with didn’t package them properly? I supplied the proper packaging with them which you had in your possession. I can’t be expected to be 1000 miles away to make sure it got put back in the boxes and not in your trash can. I spoke with your shop first as a professional courtesy as since you went hysterical and have internet roasted me twice already I would prefer not to drag them into it like this (BTW - first roast on me was something you did wrong remember, saying I didn’t do something that after I checked all 100+ emails you sent I had answered that you had never asked for in the first place?)

I figured to give them a chance to see if they can make right on this issue. From my understanding they have offered you something on it? I don’t know the details of what they offered, but I have talked with Mike many times. Neither of us are out to be screwing people over, this is the wrong business to be in for that, we see eye to eye on a lot of things actually. All 3 of us involved want this matter resolved. If the compromise is cool with me (and I don’t know what it is yet) then I imagine you won’t be out on the heads. I want happy customers, but when unhappy and I ask for the product back it needs to come back in one piece and not two, and everyone else would expect the same I imagine.

BTW – here is a picture of what I got back that I know didn’t arrive that way

jchead.jpg

passed this right by....

what have they offered me? Nothing that I know of. When I told Mike you were taking $1000 from me, the customer he said "wow that seems like a lot" He also said you had a pile of cam covers to replace that one with.

Also when were you going to tell me, the customer that you KNEW the valve job was bad and that you KNEW it was your fault? Again, not ONCE have you apologized to me and yet you come on here and say "I screwed up" and you leave me out of the loop for 12 days and then say hey Im taking $1000.

You DO know what the compromise is, your taking my money for something I didnt have a hand in and had no control over as i was 400 miles away. You had $1000 of insurance on each box. If it was one of my ported blowers to another customer, a new blower would be on the way to them without question and i would be stuck handling the claim. 3rd parties handle our customers stuff all the time and we take care of them, not bend them over. Thats why they choose us

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.