Car "shakes" at all speeds

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
2009 Mitsubishi lancer gts car has 71000 miles

Car makes an on/off noise coming from one or more of the wheels.

IMO I believe its a wheel bearing since it has gradually gotten worse and the car doesn't feel loose/unstable on the suspension side at any speed.

If it is a wheel bearing, what's the best way to determine which has failed? I was going to just replace the fronts first in a pair and then see if that changes anything. Then do the backs.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
My Taurus SHO ate a wheel bearing forever ago.

To narrow down which one, I found a good sweeper turn to take either direction.

take it on throttle, and off throttle, and gauge how the sound/pitch/volume changes

For me, it was loudest on throttle while turning right (Which lead me to the driver side front wheel bearing, since it is under the most load when turning while accelerating to the right).

I'm not saying that is the 'right' way to do it just saying how I confirmed mine without even having to jack the car up.

CrawlinTBSS

Detailer
Jul 8, 2007
Naperville, IL
go down a straight road and swerver right to left... if you going to the and hear it.. its the left side... and opposite for the other way.

do an S down the street and youll hear it more on one side when you do it. or as also said, jack up and grab tire on opposite sides and wiggle.. youll feel one. sometimes they dont move at all tho but will hum when driving, thats when you do the first one posted.

if the car shakes tho... could be tires... maybe bad tierod and the knuckle is wobbling ? my tbss just had that. thought it was the wheel bearing, but it was tierod was so shot it was wiggling in the knuckle and made the wheel move left and right while driving.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.