Edmunds Article: Did They Just Kill the Mustang?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Mechanic-blog-shot.jpg

This semi-regular column is written (in his own blood) by an automotive sage and noted malcontent, known as The Mechanic. Mercilessly beaten as a child with rolled-up back issues of old car magazines, our free-spoken hero developed a unique "for your own good" take on cars and the auto industry, along with an unfortunate habit of setting himself ablaze. Later, after a distinguished career as an automotive journalist and magazine editor, he cast off the reins of his musty oppressors, carved out his superego with a plastic spork and became The Mechanic.

I'm bummed out about the new Mustang. After all the teaser shots, after all the hype and the secrecy, it hit my eyes with a thud. I stood there at the Los Angeles auto show staring at it, wondering, "That's the new 2010 Ford Mustang. That? What's so new?"

Of course, I was surrounded by hundreds of members of the easily impressed media, a throng that sings for any car revealed alongside a free buffet, and few had anything but praise for the new design. They couldn't even put down the free chicken fingers long enough to call Ford on the new Mustang's carryover powertrains, including a 4.0 V6 rated at a limp 210 horsepower. That's 90 ponies less than the Camaro's 3.6-liter V6.

Maybe I'm to blame. Maybe my expectations were too high. I was expecting something great. An inspired answer to the Dodge Challenger and coming Chevy Camaro. But Ford, strapped for cash as it is, punted, choosing instead to toss a few new body panels and a revised dashboard on the existing Mustang, a car that made Bill Ford, Mark Fields and gang look pretty smart when they unveiled it five years ago.

In other words, they decided to shelf the Mustang's needed redesign, instead giving it a midcycle refresh. That means the Mustang is on a 10-year life cycle. A 10-YEAR LIFE CYCLE!!!! Think about that. It means this car will be around until 2015.

It's hard to blame them. Without question, the 2005-'09 Mustang has been a rare highlight during a dark time in Ford's history. It not only kicked off the retro muscle car trend Chevy and Dodge are just now catching up on, it has had the segment all to itself for essentially half a decade. No, it wasn't the perfect car, not even close, but when you're the only game in town, it's hard to look bad.

And the Mustang looked good. So good, it again became Ford's signature product, an example of the company's ability to do something right, just as it had in the 1960s with the original and again in the 1980s with the 5.0. For the past five years, the Ford Mustang, from the lowly V6 all the way up to the GT500 KR, has been a Ford to desire. The Ford to desire.

While Bill, Mark and, more recently, Alan have been in The Glass House screwing up the rest of the Ford lineup (OK, the Edge is pretty good), enthusiasts like us and car lovers all over the world have given them a chance to turn it around. A real chance. Why? Partly because of the Mustang. We all figure that if they can get that so right, well then, they're not so far gone. They can get it. They do get it. They can do this.

Trouble is, the 2010 Ford Mustang squashes all that. It's not that it doesn't look better, it just doesn't look better enough. Soon the hot coupe market will be flooded with new product: the Challenger, the Camaro, the BMW 1 Series, the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, the new Nissan 370Z. And the sad fact is that the 2010 Ford Mustang is not equipped to handle the coming flood of competition.

This game is cutthroat, and the new Mustang is about to be put down like a quarter-horse with a torn hammy and I'm not happy about it.

But why did this happen? Has five years of having the rear-wheel-drive coupe market all to itself lulled the giant Blue Oval to sleep? I don't think so. The lack of zip in the 2010 Ford Mustang is simply a result of Mulally and Company having other fish to fry. Things like a $2 stock price, a collapse of the profitable SUV market, developing a decent small car, begging the Washington democrats for cash, trying to get Ecoboost to market without looking foolish, launching the new F-150 cash cow, saving Lincoln, saving Mercury, and of course flying the company jet to Florida every week to visit family. Sorry, Mark. I couldn't resist.

My point is that the disappointing Mustang is much more a result of Ford's present economic state and not the incompetence of its management team. Then again, Ford's present economic state is certainly a result of the incompetence of its management team, so....

I just hope Ford and its iconic pony car are around long enough for the lackluster 2010 Mustang to have a successor. Maybe it will be great. -- The Mechanic, Inside Line Contributor

Posted by: The Mechanic December 1, 2008, 3:29 PM

IL_logo.gif

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I like this guy :bigthumb:

The previous Mustang's basic chassis was around since 1979, so a 15-year life cycle doesn't seem so bad. My beef is that they didn't do enough in the right spots for this to be a significant Mustang redesign.

The front and rear looks good, but the sides were neglected, and now look like it's a hobbled-together design. The engine and transmission choices are a joke in the current Mustang GT, and the suspension is long past due for an update. And none of that got attention in the new design.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
looks pretty much...the same

fail Ford, no wonder you're spiraling into the shitter.

It's one thing to keep a motor/powertrain around awhile because it's good. It's entirely another when your big ass V6 makes hardly any power, gets mediocre mileage, and has virtually nothing about it worth keeping, yet you keep it anyway.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The front and rear looks good, but the sides were neglected, and now look like it's a hobbled-together design. The engine and transmission choices are a joke in the current Mustang GT, and the suspension is long past due for an update. And none of that got attention in the new design.

X2 on the engine/trans choices... its almost sad to say, but 300hp 'just isn't enough in today's market to be competitive' let alone the same ol' 5 speed.

And its not even that '300hp' isn't enough, its just the mustang powerband is still all grunt down low, the 3v helped this, but they really need to switch to the quadcam as being standard and up the grunt of that power plant instead IMO, or use the new revision of the 5.4 Triton in it as factory instead...?

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I don't like that ford didn't up the power, but I understand why. I mean if it helps not having ford go under by keeping some engine and trans stuff the same, so later down the road they come out with something better, so be it. I like the redesign, it's not overstated like some other cars out there, it's not overly gaudy. The thing is, that it will sell, no matter what. Most of the people that buy the Mustang or Camaro don't really care about the power, they care what it looks like. They will lose some of the enthusiasts that want the power, but in reality those seem so far few these days that it really doesn't seem to matter to them.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I don't like that ford didn't up the power, but I understand why. I mean if it helps not having ford go under by keeping some engine and trans stuff the same, so later down the road they come out with something better, so be it. I like the redesign, it's not overstated like some other cars out there, it's not overly gaudy. The thing is, that it will sell, no matter what. Most of the people that buy the Mustang or Camaro don't really care about the power, they care what it looks like. They will lose some of the enthusiasts that want the power, but in reality those seem so far few these days that it really doesn't seem to matter to them.

Ford has already demonstrated that they are not going under anywhere near the rate of GM/Chrysler, And I'm sure part of that is to thank to practices like this.

Realistically, You can get a 3 valve stang into the 12's with minor bolt-ons, I am curious what kind of times a stock new camaro will run?

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
I'm still saddened to see the state of the big 3. I miss the T/A, Fiero and other rear drive platforms of yesteryear. With that said, the only choices left are from overseas. Mis-management, government rules and unfair foreign trade agreements collided with our current economy and are leading us down a very dark path. This could have been an exciting time for smaller U.S. auto companies, but they were regulated, bullied & taxed out of existence years ago. I just hope when the cards fall, WE don't as well.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
that's why they are asking for bail out money immediately....oh wait....

Ford looked like it was in the shit, but they are expecting profitability by what, 2011 or 2012?

On a brighter note, all the domestic companies will be stronger for this. Restructuring will help them realize how to run their business in this type of economy and hopefully they remember this 20-30 years down the road. The last 100 years of the auto industry was amazing, but this isn't a case of "doing what you always did and getting what you always got".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info