Brown stuff on my tires and balance question

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
First the balancing question:
I recently got new Continental ExtremeContact DW's put on the Cobra and I had to bring it back to the tire shop due to balancing issues. Got a bad vibration at 48 mph and then again at 60.

The shop couldn't balance them properly unless they put a clip-on weight on the outside of the wheel. The stick-on weights on the inside of the wheel just wouldn't cut it. With my old GS-D3's I didn't have this issue. Has anyone else run into balancing problems with their tires? My only concern is that the weights will fall off. The last time I had clip-on weights, they all fell off within 5 miles of being installed.

Now the Brown Stuff:
There seems to be some kind of brown residue which is coating the sidewall of my new tires. I've tried to clean it but it won't come off easily. If I scrub it hard, it comes off in little bits, but at that rate it would take hours to clean. Anyone know what this crap is and how to get it off?

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
If they cant balance the tires, take it somewhere else. I have NEVER not been able to balance a tire or wheel combo with sticky weights, so someone isnt doing it correctly. The brown stuff can easily be removed with some commercial wheel acid/ degreaser or good wheel/tire cleaner.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
If they cant balance the tires, take it somewhere else. I have NEVER not been able to balance a tire or wheel combo with sticky weights, so someone isnt doing it correctly. The brown stuff can easily be removed with some commercial wheel acid/ degreaser or good wheel/tire cleaner.
+1 on the balancing issue, those tires should be incredibly easy to balance with sticky weights.
I think I might do that next time. Yesterday, I just noticed that they scratched the living shit out of my wheels. :mad:

Where at? They should have to replace them

FirstPlaceOils

FirstPlaceOils.com
Nov 20, 2004
Now the Brown Stuff:
There seems to be some kind of brown residue which is coating the sidewall of my new tires. I've tried to clean it but it won't come off easily. If I scrub it hard, it comes off in little bits, but at that rate it would take hours to clean. Anyone know what this crap is and how to get it off?

This
0907_atvp_04_z+westleys+bleche_wite.jpg

or this

product_degreaser.jpg

LazyT747

SFI
Sep 11, 2006
superclean at about half strength. if your spray it on the tire while its dry and let it sit for a few minutes before scrubbing it should come off fairly easy. just dont spray it on your car, its pretty potent stuff and it will take off any wax u have on it.

id go right back to them they scratched your wheels though!

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Yeah, I'm pissed about the scratches on the wheel. Why are shops so damned careless, especially with a car like a Cobra? If it were some POS Toyota, maybe.

They rebalanced the front wheels and now they're perfect, but I've noticed the rears need balancing too. I'll take it somewhere else for those.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info