Largest inverter into cig lighter?

imbuggin

Addict
Mar 15, 2007
why dont u buy a small generator thats what i use for my fishtank if the power goes out.

My old one was to small and annoying. The inverter is a temp solution until I get a backup generator for the entire house. Since my garage is near the tank, it is easier than dealing with a generator I may use once in a blue moon. The last generator I had would be a pain in the ass to get running every time I had to use it. My tank is a 300 gallon reef and uses alot of power. Plus the inverter is 1 20th the price of a generator

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
you'll be limited to the fuse/circuit breaker size for the lighter circuit. i'm guessing no larger than a 15 amp fuse in that one, so amps X volts = watts or 15 X 12 = 180 watts

some inverters stop working when the input voltage drops below a certain threshold.

You're going to have to find a different way to power that one. You'll need at least 65 amps continuous for 800 watts, if i remember correctly.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Makes sense, if you were to go through the cigarette lighter you are pulling all that power through the wiring, and that is where you run into trouble. If you go straight to the battery, there is no wiring to add resistance, so you're better off doing that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info