Trouble with Mountaineer ABS/Cruise

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
Trying to sell my 2003 Mountaineer and I want to get this cruise control thing nailed down.

My cruise control works sometimes and sometimes doesn't. If I press "on" and then "set cruise" you can feel it pull like it is ready to take over, but doesn't. The cruise light will flash on and then turn off right away.

On another forum, I found some info that if the ABS light comes on sometimes it could be the cruise control deactivation switch. My ABS light has come on in the past, but never when I'm trying to use cruise.

I also know that there is a recall for pretty much all Ford trucks/vans until 2002 for the deactivation switch because it was causing fires.

Does it sound like my Mounty is having the same problem? I bought the switch from Ford, but don't want to waste the money and install until I know. Also for the switch install, it screws into the top of a small extension from the master cylinder. Am I going to get brake fluid everywhere with this install?

04cobrawhine

Regular
Nov 19, 2008
most likely the servo or module. did u check the CC cable/servo to make sure it moves freely?

the switch never actually caused probrolems with the cruise control. it was because they leaked brake fluid. with that being a "always hot", non fused circuit, the brake fluid would short out and start a fire. plus 95% of the explorer ones never leaked. it was the windstars that had the biggest probrolem because the switch was mounted on the bottom of the master. did u get the recall done? did they replace the switch or just install the fused wire? if you want to replace it anyways, it will take you 30 seconds. no brake fluid will come out and you will not need to bleed the master or brake after youre done. just screw the new one on and tighten.

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
most likely the servo or module. did u check the CC cable/servo to make sure it moves freely?

the switch never actually caused probrolems with the cruise control. it was because they leaked brake fluid. with that being a "always hot", non fused circuit, the brake fluid would short out and start a fire. plus 95% of the explorer ones never leaked. it was the windstars that had the biggest probrolem because the switch was mounted on the bottom of the master. did u get the recall done? did they replace the switch or just install the fused wire? if you want to replace it anyways, it will take you 30 seconds. no brake fluid will come out and you will not need to bleed the master or brake after youre done. just screw the new one on and tighten.

I'll have to check the servo. Never had the recall done as the 03s weren't called for it. Thanks for the good info.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Rotzs99
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list