The E85 Thread

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
I know there are bits and pieces of information about E85 on the forum already, but I was hoping to create a singular source for all information, questions, answers and new breakthroughs about this fuel and its requirements/potential for our cars.

If you have any experience using the fuel, converting a fuel system to run E85, performance numbers, or possible tuning issues, please post up for everyone to read.

Thank You

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
I know there are bits and pieces of information about E85 on the forum already, but I was hoping to create a singular source for all information, questions, answers and new breakthroughs about this fuel and its requirements/potential for our cars.

If you have any experience using the fuel, converting a fuel system to run E85, performance numbers, or possible tuning issues, please post up for everyone to read.

Thank You

I like this topic :)
. I am thinking of doing this conversion over the winter.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
I have a few questions...

I have read that the conversion is as simple as larger injectors to account for the extra fuel needed (up to 40% max duty down to 10% cruising) and larger pumps as well. Is there any need to upgrade to larger fuel lines due to the extra flow, say for a setup requiring 80lbers?

Is it possible to avoid moving to a larger injector by adjusting the pulse rate of the injector?

Do most E85 tuners squeeze the fuel flow during light load situations? I have read that most drive the extra fuel requirement down to 10-15% (above traditional fuel), but that some push that number down even lower. What is a safe low end limit?

For instances where E85 is unavailable, is it possible to have an additional tune setting for a mixed fuel situation?

I realize the real reason to switch to E85 spits in the face of gas mileage, but how bad is it really?

And finally, what are the spark plugs of choice for E85?

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Don't know the specifics myself, but doesnt e85 require certain materials in the fuel system that won't corrode from the ethanol aswell? Might want to add that info here.

No. Our gas has been an ethanol blend for quite some time now, meaning that OEM equipment has to tolerate the alcohol already.

Hell, you can look up fuel system part numbers for many of the cars/trucks that can be purchased as either FlexFuel or Traditional and the part numbers are identical.

Rumored Corrosive Effects of E85 from E85performance.net

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
A huge myth is the need for -10 feed from the pumps to the rails.
I made 670/640 with the FORE Triple Pump HAT with GSS 342's, 80#'ers.
Triple -6 to the Tri-Block, then -8 to the Rails. -6 return.
Ive even heard of guys making near 850rwhp with a -8 feed.

correct..

-8 feed UNDER PRESSURE (40-60) is good for outrageous amounts of power... my own race car that makes nearly 1400fwhp, runs -8 feed and -6 return... even with the extra volume of e85, 1000fwhp+ can be supported by -8, especially with a base of 60psi

I have been running E85 for over 4 years in my mustang.

My E85 Combo

Stock 302 SB
Trickflow top end
S-trim 2.95 pulley with about 17 psi @6k
4r70W trans
4.10gears
Nitto 555R's

Fuel system
255 in tank
Trex inline
KB BAP set to 50%
#8 feed line
Stock return line
60# injectors
50 PSI base FP
Stock 95 fuel rails

Tuning
Tweecer chip holds 4 tunes
Binary Editor software
LM1 wide band
Tune to .80 to .82 Lambda @ WOT
I set my tune to smaller injectors to get the computer to add extra fuel. I have it at 46's with my 60's
24deg spark @5K
2nd tune for gas

Some E85 links
http://www.e85performance.net
http://www.e85mustangs.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85_in_standard_engines
http://drivealternatives.com/

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
I'd like some clarification on the aluminum vs steel tank thing. I've heard ethanol is corrosive to raw aluminum - like found on a Behind Bars aluminum tank...

I've started threads on other forums and several people claim to have used aluminum tanks for several years with no issues whatsoever.....

Any info on the aluminum/steel thing Bob?

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
I'd like some clarification on the aluminum vs steel tank thing. I've heard ethanol is corrosive to raw aluminum - like found on a Behind Bars aluminum tank...

I've started threads on other forums and several people claim to have used aluminum tanks for several years with no issues whatsoever.....

Any info on the aluminum/steel thing Bob?

i know that fore offers coating on their fuel stuff for e85... i only think there is an issue on alum.

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006
Anyway to post a E85 list of components for nubs like me???

I have a basic idea on what I need What else can you guys see that I am missing?

Triple GSS Fuel Hat (Fore Precision) Whats the difference with the Triple GT??
x2Walbro GSS342 pumps
80LB Injectors
Stock Rails
Boost-a-pump(Already Own)
Which Lines to get??? Size? Fittings? Adapters?
Any necessary Y-Blocks?
Can A Stock fuel tank be used?
Fuel Pressure???

Planning 3.4 Whipple in the near future:burnout::burnout:

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Anyway to post a E85 list of components for nubs like me???

I have a basic idea on what I need What else can you guys see that I am missing?

Triple GSS Fuel Hat (Fore Precision) Whats the difference with the Triple GT??
x2Walbro GSS342 pumps
80LB Injectors
Stock Rails
Boost-a-pump(Already Own)
Which Lines to get??? Size? Fittings? Adapters?
Any necessary Y-Blocks?
Can A Stock fuel tank be used?
Fuel Pressure???

Planning 3.4 Whipple in the near future:burnout::burnout:

Stocks rails won't be enough... and depending on how hard you are cranking that 3.4 I don't think 80lbers will be up to the task either. There are high imp 120lb/hr injectors on the market now... and FORE rails seem to be the upgraded rail of choice right now.

For the rest I would refer to Zach's combo. He is running a built 281 with a 3.4 Whipple on the corn

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
Stocks rails won't be enough... and depending on how hard you are cranking that 3.4 I don't think 80lbers will be up to the task either. There are high imp 120lb/hr injectors on the market now... and FORE rails seem to be the upgraded rail of choice right now.

For the rest I would refer to Zach's combo. He is running a built 281 with a 3.4 Whipple on the corn

we made 802rwhp on blake's car with 80s and plenty of room to grow..

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
Really? Well shit.

What was the full fuel system combo to make 800rwhp with room to grow on corn? Dual or Triple pump setup, Rails, MAF... as a tuner do you have any qualms about tuning with Triple pump setups? Have you tuned any 120lb Hi Imps?

triple walbro pumps, 80lbs SD injectors, SCT... its blake bieri's car...

ive tuned with 120s, just never with the stock computer.. ive tuned 120 lows and 160 lows on the stock computer with a driver, something im not interested in doing again LOL

btw, we made 983rwhp with Jason's car with 75lbs injectors, TWIN walbro pumps, and GAS... but everyone said there was no way it would support it

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
I know people like to step up to triple pumps, but how much would dual aviator pumps handle with a bap on corn. They are suppose to flow about 271lph from what i have seen. Trying to pick up a 03 tank to run twins, but on back order till end of july early august. Was planning to do that combo, with the 60's i have and see how far that would get me. Hey Bob, Would i be safe to throw in one aviator pump and bap with the 60's to stay around 475whp or am i still out of luck lol? if so i would rather do that for the dyno than race gas and run E-85.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info