off to the dyno!

blownstang

Regular
Aug 21, 2006
NW Chicago
Just got back. It made less than what I expected. I was hoping for 380-390rwhp and around 370rwtq. The car is making 9psi and initial timing is 15.75 degrees and gradually drops down as the iats start to rise. If I remember correctly I think it gets to about 12 degrees when the iats hit 200. So it made 356/371. Tim thinks that I may have a clogged catalytic converter because the car has fuel and is building boost, but doesn't make any more power after 5300rpms. The curve just goes flat. A/F ratio is 11.5 across the board. We're thinking of hollowing out the cats and throwing it back on the dyno to get that extra 20-30rwhp. The torque number is there, but the hp needs to come up. Any other ideas or suggestions?

blownstang

Regular
Aug 21, 2006
NW Chicago
stock 2v with stock heads (and manifolds?), doesn't really surprise me.

I listed the parts in the original original post. Longtubes and plenum/tb. The horsepower numbers are low. Car should be in the 370's at least. It doesn't hit 9psi until 6,000rpms, but the hp curve goes flat from 5300-6100. Tim showed me a graph from a stock 2v where they put a Vortech with a 3.6 pulley on it. On 7psi the car made 346rwhp, but the curve kept climbing till 6,000rpms. It is not normal for my car to only make 10rwhp more when I have 2psi more and longtubes/plenum/tb.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I listed the parts in the original original post. Longtubes and plenum/tb. The horsepower numbers are low. Car should be in the 370's at least. It doesn't hit 9psi until 6,000rpms, but the hp curve goes flat from 5300-6100. Tim showed me a graph from a stock 2v where they put a Vortech with a 3.6 pulley on it. On 7psi the car made 346rwhp, but the curve kept climbing till 6,000rpms. It is not normal for my car to only make 10rwhp more when I have 2psi more and longtubes/plenum/tb.

No it is not. I agree with getting rid of the cats, good luck!

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
Thats right in the area of what my 2 valve made. I dont see anything out of the ordinary. With just some Comp 270 cams you would have been 450+ hp.

I would never have a forced induction car with cats... I would think your could make 10-15 more hp without them but nothing to crazy.

Spoke with Nick at ARH. Seems this is common on supercharged Mustangs with cats. He said that the only way to damage his cats would be to overheat them where they actually start to melt a little. 99% of the time this happens on the dyno or from a rich condition. It will be visible once the x pipe is pulled off. I'm going to try and pull it off in the next few days and see if the holes on the inside look a little deformed or burnt.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info