Tune = worth it??

03Mach

Jul 16, 2009
I had a bolt on Mach 1 and it ran better before the tune. The rwhp and rwtq increased with the tune; however, the seat of the pants and track times expressed the opposite.

IMO, keep the stock tune.

what is considered to be "a bolt on Mach"? what were the bolt ons that you had on yours? and was there something that you noticed a larger difference than others? or did you do all at the same time?

**mine has a manual trans**

blownstang

Regular
Aug 21, 2006
NW Chicago
im just curious if it would be worth it for me to get a tune on the mach? the only things i have done are: before i got it someone modified the intake, and i have since put an off road X on it, as well as a couple flowmaster super44's. would it be worth it? if so any ideas on numbers>? hp torque and $$$

thanks in advance

Not needed. If you had longtubes on the car i'd say go for it. My car ran fine, but ate gas like crazy after the longtubes were installed. What do you mean by modified the intake? Are you talking about the induction or the intake manifold?

I think it would be if you want the car to perform to it's max and be optimized. A dyno tune by a reputable place will be $500 or over but you'll probably be putting out 300 to the wheels and have much better throttle response.

Where are you getting your car tuned that you're paying such an outrageous price for a tune? If you meant to say a tune + a chip/programmer, then yes it will definitely be a few hundred more than that.

what is considered to be "a bolt on Mach"? what were the bolt ons that you had on yours? and was there something that you noticed a larger difference than others? or did you do all at the same time?

**mine has a manual trans**

Induction (cold air or ram air), underdrive pulleys, longtube headers, x/h/prochamber, catback would be considered bolt ons.

who ever owned it prior to me had taken off the rubber silencer "thing"? are long tubes worth the money?

That rubber silencer is nothing. If you remove it it just allows the filter to have more of an open space to suck in air. Are longtubes woth the money? It depends on your budget and what you want to do with the car. They do help the 4v exhale alot better. With longtubes and a tune i'm guessing you'd gain around 25rwhp. With that said, you decide if spending $600-$1400 depending on which companies header/midpipe combo you go with is worth it. If you can buy slightly used in good condition that would be your best bet. I won my ARH longtubes and catted x pipe so I got them for free. Just paid $350 for installation and $350 for a tune. In the quarter mile my 2v dropped .3 after the longtubes and tune, but it didn't really give much of a seat of the pants increase.

03Mach

Jul 16, 2009
thank you guys very much for the input/info. it is greatly appreciated:headbang:
i think im going to go the long tube and tune route. ive heard a lot about how much of a difference they make, i just wanted to see if there was anything that would benefit me more. again thanks guys :hail:

ball park price on a tune??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info