TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
HKS filter directly on the turbo, like this
hks_red.jpg

jeff99gtp

Regular
Sep 9, 2008
i ordered one from a local performance shop that is into dsms that fits right on my turbo. but i think the way that the Z7 pipes make the turbo sit, you can not fit that big of a filter on the turbo. now i know you dont have Z7 hot side but if its similar i dont think a big filter would fit right on the turbo. but have the bends in the intake tube be very smooth like said was said before.

EDIT: i got a K&N filter.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i ordered one from a local performance shop that is into dsms that fits right on my turbo. but i think the way that the Z7 pipes make the turbo sit, you can not fit that big of a filter on the turbo. now i know you dont have Z7 hot side but if its similar i dont think a big filter would fit right on the turbo. but have the bends in the intake tube be very smooth like said was said before.

EDIT: i got a K&N filter.

hahha. i do have the z7 hotside duuuude. reeeemmemmmber?

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Nooooooooo, those filters are TERRRRIBLE! That foam is not very good at filtering, plus you have to replace them instead of clean them!

*edit*

Just realized this is probably sarcasm... but still... NOOOOOOOOO!

thats the exact filter that chewed up Charles from DHPs 60-1. Locking nut came a little loose and the suction of the turbo was all it took.
the bigger the better is true.
I would suggest a S&B filter. They are available in any shape and size you want and will be less expensive then a K&N.
Always try and run the filter as close to the turbo if not on it. What you will try and gain from making a fWI or a curved tube will be lost from the turbo working harder.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
thats the exact filter that chewed up Charles from DHPs 60-1. Locking nut came a little loose and the suction of the turbo was all it took.
the bigger the better is true.
I would suggest a S&B filter. They are available in any shape and size you want and will be less expensive then a K&N.
Always try and run the filter as close to the turbo if not on it. What you will try and gain from making a fWI or a curved tube will be lost from the turbo working harder.

Eh not 100% true about having the filter as close to the turbo as possible. Unless you're just making a Dyno queen that will start it's pulls with a cool engine bay, you want to keep your Filter away from heat as much as possible. While IC's help cool the intake charge, they can only do so much especially when you're starting with a superheated intake charge before its even compressed.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Eh not 100% true about having the filter as close to the turbo as possible. Unless you're just making a Dyno queen that will start it's pulls with a cool engine bay, you want to keep your Filter away from heat as much as possible. While IC's help cool the intake charge, they can only do so much especially when you're starting with a superheated intake charge before its even compressed.

True, but lots of people at this powerlevel dont round robin at the track. so a cool engine bay isnt that hard to get outside the dyno. While on the street it might hurt power a bit, but at the track and on the dyno where it counts in alot of peoples opinons it will make more power in most cases.
Turbo placement adds alot to this. Look at how the z7,stattama,Ct kits aim there inlet. Its quite optimal to use large filter that will reach the air in front of the headlight and possibly the fender well. CT guys were seeing big increases when they started using a open cone over there old supplied FWI.
Go the route your comfortable with but when pushing higher boost anything in front of the turbo will begin to hinder performance a bit.

jeff99gtp

Regular
Sep 9, 2008
exactly.

i bought the xover quite some time ago... then the dp recently, and to make sure that the dp worked, i had to send my xover back to make sure it was all good.

ohh yes thats right. haha well then in that case you wont be able to fit a filter right on the turbo unless you get a small filter, but that would creat more resistance. so you will need a pipe with a 90 degree turn to run a bigger filter. but thats all up to you.i personally would go with the pipe/bigger filter way.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
True, but lots of people at this powerlevel dont round robin at the track. so a cool engine bay isnt that hard to get outside the dyno. While on the street it might hurt power a bit, but at the track and on the dyno where it counts in alot of peoples opinons it will make more power in most cases.
Turbo placement adds alot to this. Look at how the z7,stattama,Ct kits aim there inlet. Its quite optimal to use large filter that will reach the air in front of the headlight and possibly the fender well. CT guys were seeing big increases when they started using a open cone over there old supplied FWI.
Go the route your comfortable with but when pushing higher boost anything in front of the turbo will begin to hinder performance a bit.

z7 points it pretty dead nuts forwards... and ct is kinda off to the side i think.

i dunno. maybe on the turbo maybe an elbow. either way... i doubt its going to be the thing holding my car back.

see here.

DSC00501.jpg

A2An.jpg

or maybe a small elbow like this...

IMG_0171.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info