auto experts, built 4r70w in their stang, who did the work?

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
built auto time, 4r70w in their stang, who did the work, and project build up

Well last sunday i went to the track, and on the 4th run 2nd gear went out on my 3650 trans. 2nd has been acting funky for a while so i expected it, but was debating going built 3650 by pmp or doing the auto conversion and running the 4r70w. i decided to go auto, i picked up a auto trans out of a 03 gt with 83k on it and tore it down and all looks good. i have a pcm from a mach auto coming as well so i can keep an auto valvebody. i know i'm going transbrake eventually as i will be going turbo over winter so thats a must. it comes down to the choice for build stuff, the popular lentech, BC auto, or what do you recommend. I ran across this sit which has a lot of the internal stuff i will need(1,2), i have kind of put the build together somewhat but am not that into built auto's to know whats key. my power next year will be limited to about 500whp, so what can i get away with holding off on the trans till i decide to throw in the built block. i was figuring just doing the valvebody, convertor, and maybe a couple internal things to keep it going. alot of mild builds i've read had good luck with just a VB upgrade and a convertor. whats your opinion or recommendation? thanks :D

drew

(1)www.ford-aode.com
(2)www.wittrans.com

here is a nice cooler i found reading through people's auto builds, beefy.
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/4739-1.html

Some other very helpful links:
Install info
http://www.modularfords.com/2008/08/08/installing-a-4r70w-into-a-03-04-mustang-cobra/
Very good auto tech info
http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?12-General-Click-Click-Tech

Also big thanks to our sponsors for info and time provided to me to explain and help out!! thanks

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
i use UCC converters.. we did a mach 1 with the stock auto, a valve body, a UCC converter, and a vortech... the customer lost use of his legs a few years ago in a motorcycle accident. He drives it at byron with hand controls and runs 11.50s!! Torque converter can make or break a combination!

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I have a AOD built by Dean @ DRC Transmissions. Dean builds a great trans, tests them on a trans dyno to assure correct operation and has good prices. My trans has been low 9's at 146 so far. It has many 4r70w parts in it for extra strength. I also run a Lentech VB and a UCC converter.

DRC Transmissions 847-364-5523

If your interested on reading on how they are upgraded and what parts and tricks guys use check out www.clickclickracing.com. Lots of good info and links over there.

Good luck!

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
thanks for the info guys. i had a feeling i could do it on stock internals with just a vb and tc upgrade. i may go through the trans and upgrade a few items to the mach 1 pieces and replace the band and clutches with alto reds. i'll give you a call monday joe, to discuss the trans and see if you can give me any tips or info. thanks

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
I have a AOD built by Dean @ DRC Transmissions. Dean builds a great trans, tests them on a trans dyno to assure correct operation and has good prices. My trans has been low 9's at 146 so far. It has many 4r70w parts in it for extra strength. I also run a Lentech VB and a UCC converter.

DRC Transmissions 847-364-5523

If your interested on reading on how they are upgraded and what parts and tricks guys use check out www.clickclickracing.com. Lots of good info and links over there.

Good luck!

cool site, never seen it. thanks, i'll shoot drc a call monday.

Logan@DeansPerformance

Tai Ni Po Ni
Dec 1, 2006
You can always use PROFORMANCE in Elburn, illinois. he does joeys trans, chris old renegade car as well, top notch quality and great to deal with!

As far as a quality setup, the 4r70w STOCK can handle 500whp, depending on how you drive it. people running stock internals normally opt with a lenntech MVB, and have great luck. there was a member of SVTP going 11.0s in an 03 cobra, pulley only on a stock 4r70w, stock mach 1 converter. Have the trans gone through by the shop of your choice, but if i was spending the money i would go manual valve body immediately! you can get a lenntech unit for around 6-700 used :biggthump

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
cool site, never seen it. thanks, i'll shoot drc a call monday.

Do a lot of reading over there. The more you know about how they work and what good parts are the better it is when you talk to the trans builder. That way you guys come up with a game plan that you both understand. And if you have questions post them up over there. They are very helpful.

Also, The converter is what makes it all work right. So don't go cheap there either. For a converter the saying "you get what you pay for" holds well.

there was a member of SVTP going 11.0s in an 03 cobra, pulley only on a stock 4r70w, stock mach 1 converter.

The silver 03? He actually dipped in the 10's about a month or so ago. Impressive for sure.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
i really want a Lentech VB with a transbrake, but am short on money so was just going to do the j mod for now. if i could find a used lentech VB auto with TB i could maybe find some change in the sofa lol. i seen alot of guys using the mach TC and liking it, so that was a choice as well for now. it's so hard because the more i read, i get pulled to maybe getting a PI or a BC or ucc's. i haven't called bc yet and a few others but seems that each has their own idea of if you should get a lockup or not, and what size, and single or multi disc. so still confused lol, but i'm leaning towards a lock up with an upgraded mid shaft and drum from lentech. eventually i WILL need the trans to handle around 900whp and be reliable within reason. i have a few places to call tomorrow and will keep the thread updated. i may use this thread as the trans build so to be used as reference for others. thanks for all the responses CSVT.

drew

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
Do a lot of reading over there. The more you know about how they work and what good parts are the better it is when you talk to the trans builder. That way you guys come up with a game plan that you both understand. And if you have questions post them up over there. They are very helpful.

Also, The converter is what makes it all work right. So don't go cheap there either. For a converter the saying "you get what you pay for" holds well.

The silver 03? He actually dipped in the 10's about a month or so ago. Impressive for sure.

thanks for the site:biggthump, i joined it to read through the tech articles, and was amazed at all the little things and info they provide. i do work for a ford dealer, and am good friends with the trans guy. he's been doing 4r70w's and ford transmissions for over 20 years and knows all the failures, revised parts and changes. he is a big help with this, as he helped me go through the trans, i am a senior tech there, but each has their own specialty. auto trans is not mine lol.

Shane97Cobra

Addict
Apr 27, 2005
My 4R70W was built by BC, Darrin does nice work. I have to say what Dean at DRC did with 86merc's trans is impressive too. Can't beat that he is local.

I had a PA manual VB in mine, if I did it again I would probably use a Lentech. They are expensive, but seem to be the best for AOD manula VB's.

I also used a UCC converter.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
If you can avoid Lentech, do so.

I have met more people disappointed in their stuff than happy it seems.

the more reading i do, the more i am starting to hear that, a couple of people are recommending who have dealt first hand with lentech and others, fb performance as one of the better ones. i have alot of places to call lol.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
the more reading i do, the more i am starting to hear that, a couple of people are recommending who have dealt first hand with lentech and others, fb performance as one of the better ones. i have alot of places to call lol.

Definitely dont buy an actual transmission from them.
They build it up and have NO IDEA how to setup the PCM to run it properly.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
My 4R70W was built by BC, Darrin does nice work. I have to say what Dean at DRC did with 86merc's trans is impressive too. Can't beat that he is local.

I had a PA manual VB in mine, if I did it again I would probably use a Lentech. They are expensive, but seem to be the best for AOD manula VB's.

I also used a UCC converter.

I liked the fact DRC was close to me and they have a trans dyno. You know it will work when you installit in the car as it is already tested. He had a issue with my trans on the dyno. He was able to find out it was a hole that was missing in the Lentech VB gasket. Drilled the hole in the gasket and the trans was fine. But better to find that out when the trans is on the bench at the trans guys place versus in your garage where you are kind of stuck.

Actually I found a lot out about the Freddy Brown VBs. They use the same ASSO technology (holds 3rd & rev gear for extra power capability) as Lentech. And they are much cheaper than Lentech. I paid $90 is shipping on my VB from Lentech. And the fact the raised the price of their products when the US dollar was down. OK I can understand that. But when I bought mine the US Dollar recovered a bunch and he would not adjust the price down. That pissed me off. That also cost me about $130. Len also said he would build me a auto shifting VB with a trans brake. A couple days later when I called to order it he wouldn't do it. wtf? Then there was the issue with the VB gasket like I mentioned above. They say they are tested before they ship. How could it have been tested and shipped not working correctly. Thanks again to Dean for fixing the issue. Customer service is lacking at Lentech. Wish I knew about Freddy Brown's set ups before I bought the Lentech. Oh well.

I would recommend a manual VB as they are not that bad at all in a street car. If you want the electronic controlled vb I would say get some one that knows how to tune them. Buying a stand alone computer is another route but just adds to the cost of the conversion.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
ya, i think i may not go through the j mod and just get the FB perf. with the TB, the price is better than LT's and heard alot of good things on them. so at least i have one part figured out lol. i plan on using the auto VB and have a mach 1 computer. i will still need to buy a program decent to run with the setup, but will figure that out later.

Tim

I like girls that drink beer
Nov 9, 2006
America
ya, i think i may not go through the j mod and just get the FB perf. with the TB, the price is better than LT's and heard alot of good things on them. so at least i have one part figured out lol. i plan on using the auto VB and have a mach 1 computer. i will still need to buy a program decent to run with the setup, but will figure that out later.

As long as it is tuned right, you can't beat the j-modded electronic VB. The shifts were virtually un-noticeable in the Mach 1 we had. Of course a good converter is another huge piece of the puzzle.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
i would do the j mod, but sold my kooks headers, so i'm going with the FB VB so i can have a trans brake. i should be ordering it Thursday, and will post up pics(if i get the ok from FB) when it comes in. i may be leaning towards the triple disc PI convertor, for the lock up ability and they are easier to find used so i can send it out and have better material disc installed which seems to be the downside of the PI unit.

CREJoe

Chassis Builder
Jun 15, 2007
i would do the j mod, but sold my kooks headers, so i'm going with the FB VB so i can have a trans brake. i should be ordering it Thursday, and will post up pics(if i get the ok from FB) when it comes in. i may be leaning towards the triple disc PI convertor, for the lock up ability and they are easier to find used so i can send it out and have better material disc installed which seems to be the downside of the PI unit.

Although sold separately, Trans brake installs should not be considered a simple bolt-in and go. The rest of the trans should be modified accordingly to prevent a catastrophic failure and good durability.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info