Are Longtubes really not worth it?

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
For years Ive been reading about Cobra owners saying that LT's are a waste of time and money. I never really understood this at all. :confused:

On my Marauders, I usually picked up 30-45rwhp with Kooks LT's, yet Mustang owners report minimal gains if any at all. Still, not making sense to me. :confused:

Same engine! I dont get it!

I have a BNIB set of Kooks for my Mach 1 which is getting the Ported Eaton and E-85 conversion.
Am I really wasting time and money with the Kooks? :dunno:

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
not sure about everyone's personal results, but i felt a big gain in mid range, and harder pull to redline. i could throw it on the dyno and see what i picked up with them. my last dyno was 318hp and 320tq, since then i added the long tubes over stock mani's, and replaced the o/r x with an o/r x for the kooks. no tuning was done when i installed them, because my afr's were still in safe area 12.9-13.1(n/a)

03GEETEE

The "2V" of Chitown
Feb 26, 2007
Lots of Cobra guys are making 550-600 to the tires with stock manifolds. The problem is while they wont give you 35rwhp at the peak what they do for the entire motors rev range and effieciency are totally worth it on ANY car. Cost and time to put it also steer people away from them, but I wouldnt have it any otherway. I would put longtubes on my lawnmower if they made them.

JTR

Synyzter

LS2 Power
Sep 3, 2007
Lots of Cobra guys are making 550-600 to the tires with stock manifolds. The problem is while they wont give you 35rwhp at the peak what they do for the entire motors rev range and effieciency are totally worth it on ANY car. Cost and time to put it also steer people away from them, but I wouldnt have it any otherway. I would put longtubes on my lawnmower if they made them.

JTR

I loved my Longtubes on my T/A. I'm hoping to pick some up for my L down the road. A lawnmower with LTs would be sick! :headbang:

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
did before and after dyno on mine and they netted 26rwhp and 19rwtq

peak tq came in 500rpm lower and peak power was at redline with no signs of falling off. were as before , it peaked and began to fall at 5200rpm:D

and actually the car got quieter than with the manifolds, not much but enough to notice..but ive always noticed on all my cars that that would happen. but the sound was 10 times better and cleaner:biggthump i think it has something to do with better flow and low backpreasure but i really have no idea

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
did before and after dyno on mine and they netted 26rwhp and 19rwtq

peak tq came in 500rpm lower and peak power was at redline with no signs of falling off. were as before , it peaked and began to fall at 5200rpm:D

and actually the car got quieter than with the manifolds, not much but enough to notice..but ive always noticed on all my cars that that would happen. but the sound was 10 times better and cleaner:biggthump i think it has something to do with better flow and low backpreasure but i really have no idea

X2

mine got alot more mellow tone, quieter, and sounded and hell of a lot better. almost no rasp= farting sound lol.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
huge pain in the ass to install them with the engine in the car.... but I felt that they were worth it. I dont know what the LTs gave me exactly because I did it with a Cat Back and Mid pipe at the same time... but the gains were fairly substantial.

Finally got the pig dyno'd yestrerday at the GTG. The numbers werent what I expected at all. The only additions were Kooks LTs, X, CB.

Old #s = 421rwhp/451rwtq
New #s = 458rwhp/492rwtq

Not to shabby eh? Mods are RR 2.90, CAI, Diablo, plus mentioned exhaust.

Peak TQ changed from 451@3500 to 492@3250, Peak HP changed from 421@5900 to 458@6100.

HP gains were a constant 30rwhp from 2750-5500, then gains increased steadily till reaching a max gain of 45+rwhp@6300

The max TQ gain was 50~rwtq@3000 and slowly tapered till 4000 where the gains remained constant at 35rwtq till 6400

1badass96gt

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2004
headers in general are worth the upgrade... but I do not feel that I can justify the extra pain in the ass install for long tubes over shorties... shorties are a lot easier to install and can yield similar gains.

True with 03/04's?

If so, daddy will pick some up.

No its not accurate for the modular engines. Not sure why but the modulars do not respond nearly as well as pushrods. Shorties are basically a waste on 96+ cars.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info