Is it normal? Ranger maintenance help. PLEASE!

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
For power steering fluid to be spraying out from the drivers front wheelwell?

This is where the leak is coming from. Behind the brake line that is in the front.
IMG_1076.jpg

Bad thing is it's between the frame, engine, and spring. Anyone have an idea on how long or how much it would cost to fix?

Also I set my brakes on fire going down a steep mountain. Took off the wheels and calipers today to check them. Ford dealer said I needed new pads, rotors machined, and a fluid flush. What do you think?
IMG_1077.jpg
IMG_1077.jpg
IMG_1082.jpg
IMG_1080.jpg
IMG_1086.jpg
IMG_1087.jpg
IMG_1088.jpg
IMG_1090.jpg
IMG_1093.jpg

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Not sure about the power steering, but it looks like you might have a bad seal somewhere on the rack.

As for the brakes, per the pictures, the rotors look OK and the pads look fine. Is there any bluing on the rotors or are they warped? Are the calipers OK (no leaks or other damage)? If so, you might want to just bleed the brakes on all four corners and see how it goes. Maybe monitor the brake fluid level and watch for fluid drips around the front wheels for a few days to be sure you didn't damage one of the caliper piston seals.

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
You need to determine if it's the low or high pressure steering hose and see what it costs at Rockauto.com (always is a discount code on the net too) They usually will leak where the rubber hose is crimped on the hardline.
I've never had any problems with them on the two Rangers I've owned, so I have no idea what it takes to replace. If the aftermarket doesn't make it, the OEM is going to cost alot even from Tousley Ford.

Looks like those pads have plenty left on them. Pads are cheap though and I always throw a new set on when I've taken bralkes apart. The brake fluid looks clean but if it was boiled on that mountain road it needs to be flushed. It's happened to me once while hauling a load of firewood from Indiana, so I'll bleed my brakes once every year or two. Make sure the dust boots on the caliper pistons and the slider pins didn't melt. If they did you'll have problems with it down the road if it isn't fixed. I've never had any luck getting Ranger rotors machined. The back side of them usually rust up pretty bad and will pit. How many miles are on the brakes? Have the rotors been cut before? If they were you might want to just buy a new set of rotors with bearings and seals. Ranger rotors usually only last me 40-50K miles.

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
Thanks for the replies guys. Rotors and Pads were replaced 4k miles ago. I also posted on The Ranger Station and got some help there. They said I probably glazed my rotors and pads so I sanded both yesterday. Truck is in the shop now to get brake fluid flush and fix the power steering leak and they'll also check the brakes again. When I told the guy the truck was from Illinois he laughed and mentioned how rusty it would be. Sucks what Chicago does to these cars.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Rotzs99
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list