Help me with Spark Plugs!

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Wierd thinkgs have been happening to my Blue Marauder with an Eaton conversion. As of late, the car has been falling on its face intermittently under high load and/or boost.
I was pretty sure it was a bad FRPS but decided to pull the plugs out first.

Sure as shit the problem was the actual PLUGS.
As soon as I pulled them out I noticed the gap did not look right. .045" was the gap on all 8!!! :eek: :confused:

This is a concern for me because i know for a fact I gapped them at .032 about 6000 miles ago. Same shit happened to me at Kurgan's last week. We changed plugs due to spark blowout and they were at .035 when Im POSITIVE I gapped them at .027 a few weeks prior.

Whats going on here? Are PD blower cars known for opening the gaps of plugs over time? I really dont get it.

Also, I noticed the plugs were turning brown where the porcelain meets the metal. Maybe its just some type of adhesive discoloring????
Take a look, and thanks in advance.

Attachments

• ToBeFiled 006.jpg
    ToBeFiled 006.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 156
  • ToBeFiled 007.jpg
    ToBeFiled 007.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 151

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
spark plug gaps will open up over time.. remember, there is alot of heat in there..

are you using a feeler gauge or a $1 autozone spark plug gapper? Normal cars, over 20k miles, will open (or burn/melt) up about .015 from what they were originally gapped at.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
spark plug gaps will open up over time.. remember, there is alot of heat in there..

are you using a feeler gauge or a $1 autozone spark plug gapper? Normal cars, over 20k miles, will open (or burn/melt) up about .015 from what they were originally gapped at.

Im using a wire gauge.

And FWIW, I used a cheapo to compare and they both read identical.

Ill just pull plugs every 5-10k, no big deal.
Thanks again Bob.

justbob

Just a grandpa car with a vacuum leak.
Jan 23, 2010
Behind that famous burrito joint
Real Name
Bob
Just had this issue on my MM. Was gapped .032 last summer, now to find .039-.042. I was experiencing a bad intermittent miss only at WOT. Can't really give her a good test now because of cold weather and zero traction, but i'm breaking the tires free at 40 and riding it out for a couple feet. So far only one minor hiccup out of 5-6 stabs to the floor.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005

Zack this is what I did and it fixed my problem. Feeler gauge I have one if you wanna borrow it.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
Just thinkin the same thing.

Maybe even the IX iridium plugs. That's what I use in the Cobra.
They cost a fortune, but work perfectly in all temps under all loads (including idle) and the gap hasn't changed much, so far.

I dont know about iridium plugs and high boost. I have read/heard stories about that thin electrode breaking off in the cylindar head. They worked great for me when I was a pullied eaton, but kb @22psi ill stick with NGK tr7's

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info