Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Though its first official public debut isn't scheduled until early next week, the 2011 Chevy Volt has been introduced to the internet early courtesy of the The Car Connection, which published these apparently official pictures of the revolutionary series hybrid today. In the past few weeks we've seen official teasers shots of the car mixed with spy video taken on the set of Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen, all of which have only served to increase excitement ahead of the car's official debut next week. These pics give up the goods like no others, however, and show various GM execs and engineers directly responsible for its development posing alongside like proud papas. The list includes, in order, Tony Posawatz, Bob Lutz, Bob Boniface, Frank Weber, and Andrew Farah.

What we see is a vehicle about the size of the current Chevy Cobalt or next-gen Cruze with a very aerodynamic front end and high rear decklid. There are some futuristic design elements too, including the LED fog lights, black expanse beneath the windows and Volt badging attached to the sideview mirrors. Perhaps the most poignant pic of all is Lutz himself doing a double-handed lean on the production Volt, as GM's product czar has been the most visible figure during the car's very public development.

chevrolet_100166710_m.jpg

chevrolet_100166715_m.jpg

chevrolet_100166717_m.jpg

chevrolet_100166719_m.jpg

400px-Logo-autoblog-com.gif

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
i dont know much, maybe someone can fill me in, is it a hybrid, or completely electric?

It's an electric car with a small gasoline engine that solely charges the battery. The engine is not connected to the drive wheels. Estimates say It can go up to 40 miles on electric charge only. But when that charge dwindles, the gas engine fires up to charge the battery.

Edit: it's also a plug-in.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It's an electric car with a small gasoline engine that solely charges the battery. The engine is not connected to the drive wheels. Estimates say It can go up to 40 miles on electric charge only. But when that charge dwindles, the gas engine fires up to charge the battery.

Edit: it's also a plug-in.

Thank you sir.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
ya but we all know 40 miles is really not that far nowadays

I disagree. My commute is 5 miles one way to the train station. There are thousands of people who do that same commute everyday in my area. If all I did was go to the train station and back, that's theoretically one work week I wouldn't have to use gas.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The Volt is large enough to be usable as a daily car, and is not a skateboard with an electric motor like the Zap cars.

This is without a doubt a large breakthrough in the automotive realm, but I do think Chevrolet has a marketing hurdle to overcome with selling a Cobalt or Cruse sized car for $40,000.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
i think the idea is cool but the end product leaves something to be desired. if i had a shorter commute (0-15 miles) i would ride my bicycle to work. if i had a longer commute i would stick with what i got. i think $40K isnt a good deal for a around town car. i think if it had a longer capacity then it could be viable; say 200+ miles. sure its a stretch but i only see hollywood buying these to replace their prius; not the average person.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The technology has to start somewhere, and like all new technology it will start priced high and gradually come down. People wouldn't have a problem spending $40,000 if it were an Acura electric car that did the same thing, but being a Chevy I would agree that it's probably not going to be embraced by average America shopping for a Malibu or Camry.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info