đź“° Auto News Ford To Bring Mustang SVO Badge Back For 2010 With 300 HP Eco-Boosted Four-Cylinder

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
We've now heard from a second source that Ford is readying a return to the 2010 Ford Mustang of a badge familiar to malaise-era muscle car fan-boys — the Mustang SVO. Just like the original limited edition mid-eighties Mustang was all about merging power performance with fuel efficiency — we're hearing similar rumblings on this new 'stang. We'd already heard Ford's plans for the Boss engine lineup and we already understood the new Mustang would be less V8-focused than the current Mustang's muscular lineup. We'd also heard the pony car would be receiving Ford's new silver bullet, a twin-turbocharged engine equipped with their new EcoBoost technology. What we hadn't heard was what the boys over at Garage419 today claim — that it'll be a four-banger capable of hitting 300 HP and this newly-badged 'stang will be lighter than the GT by 500 lbs. Holy game-changer, Batman!

We're told G419's source is pretty good, and since we'd heard something about Ford's strategy when it comes to these new engines over drinks a couple weeks back, we're inclined to believe it. Mostly because we think we know who their source is — and since if he's who we think he is, he knows something about the high-performance side of Ford. One thing we're hoping is that this won't nix our desires to see the EcoBoost V6 under the hood. Because if there's one thing we like more than more power, it's not having to pay an arm and a leg at the gas pump for it.

http://jalopnik.com/397811/ford-to-...or-2010-with-300-hp-eco+boosted-four+cylinder

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
Panther? Educate a Chevy guy please :hs:

Panther= Crown Vic, Marquis, Town Car.

Wikipedia says:
Today, it is the oldest platform still in use in the United States and Canada. It uses traditional body-on-frame construction, and a live rear axle. It was introduced in 1978 for the 1979 model year as a response to the downsized GM full size offerings.It has outlasted its GM counterpart, the B-platform which was used for the Chevrolet Caprice and Buick Roadmaster, along with its extended-wheelbase version the D-platform used for Cadillac Fleetwood, until their cancellation in 1996. The Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis are among the most commonly used fleet vehicles, including police interceptors and taxicabs. The Lincoln Town Car appeals largely to older clients and is the most commonly used limousine in the United States and Canada. The Panther platform is still in production as of 2008 and is currently committed to production until at least 2010.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
naw they should bring it back in the form of the SHO.i think i heard somebody talkin bout throwin the tt v6 ecoboost in the SHO first,cant remember where.that'll be much better.they already have enough variations of the mustang(saleen,roush,gt500kr,super snake)bring somethin else u know.

Ford is in the process of phasing out their v8 engines for future models. The turbo 6 is currently destined to be the new Mustang GT powerplant.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
cool.whats the word on that italian mustang?is that the prototype for its next generation?guilliarno i think its called.

That was just a designer's own personal twist on the current model. It wasn't a Ford prototype.

As for the phasing out of v8's, that's what my buddy tells me who works for a fairly large corporation where his job is to run engine dynos and run tests on future products.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Agreed. The ford "ecoboost" engine will be direct injection and turbo. Most engines get a bump in fuel economy when they go direct injection -- see CTS and Solstice. And smaller displacement with turbo will equal the same or more power but with better mileage.

As for the SHO vs SVO, the Mustang is fitting for a performance variant like the SVO, and it's a viable option, but no one wants a full size Taurus performance sedan. Maybe when the Taurus was a smaller, midsize car, but not that it's a full size sedan.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info