cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Hyundai weighs Genesis upscale subbrand

AR-

NADA convention coverageHyundai may market its premium vehicles under a Genesis subbrand to further distinguish its upscale cars from its mainstream vehicles, the brand's U.S. sales boss said.

The proposed move would replace Hyundai's round "H" badge with a new badge on rear-wheel-drive premium vehicles, including the Equus, Genesis sedan and Genesis Coupe. The upscale vehicles would be branded as Genesis with an alphanumeric naming system. They would be sold in Hyundai dealerships, not through a separate dealership network.

"There's a conversation going on within the company that says, 'Does having the Hyundai badge on the premium vehicles sell more vehicles, or does it restrict us from selling more vehicles?'" said Dave Zuchowski, executive vice president of sales for Hyundai Motor America.

No decision has been made about the rebranding, he said.

Combined Genesis and Genesis Coupe sales totaled 32,998 vehicles in 2011, up 13 percent from 2010.

Hyundai sold 3,193 units of its $60,000 Equus luxury sedan in the car's first full year of sales. Zuchowski said the company had expected to sell 2,300 units last year.

While Hyundai is considering launching a luxury brand, a separate sales channel along the lines of Lexus, Infiniti and Acura is out of the question, Zuchowski said.

Many Genesis buyers are replacing the Hyundai badge with a winged Genesis badge as a dealer-installed option, Zuchowski said.

No firm timetable has been set to make the decision on whether to create a Genesis subbrand. But Zuchowski said it could coincide with redesigned versions of the Genesis and Equus, which are due in 2013 as 2014 models.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I think it's a great idea, but I don't know if I agree with not giving them separate dealerships. It's different than the route that Acura/Infiniti and Lexus went from their parents companies. So it doesn't totally segregate it, but I could see how your overhead and costs would be WAY less, thus still making the cars cheaper.

100% agree though that the Genesis should be it's own entity and get a different emblem. One of the most common mods on the Genesis sedan is taking off the "H" and getting the genesis "wings." Which come standard overseas.

jprophecy

Regular
Jan 9, 2012
Comming from a hyundai forum before and being an ex tiburon owner this is OLD news.

This was always the intent from Hyundai with the introduction of the Genesis sedan and coupe.

To all the nay sayers that say its stupid or still just a Hyundai.......well people said the exact same thing about Lexus and Acura. Well we all know how that turned out.

Besides the Genisis is a nice car no matter how much people crap talk it being still a Hyundai.

Comming from a hyundai forum before and being an ex tiburon owner this is OLD news.

This was always the intent from Hyundai with the introduction of the Genesis sedan and coupe.

To all the nay sayers that say its stupid or still just a Hyundai.......well people said the exact same thing about Lexus and Acura. Well we all know how that turned out.

Besides the Genisis is a nice car no matter how much people crap talk it being still a Hyundai.

Its unfair to the Genesis that it wasn't split. The level of service is far better at the upscale brand's dealerships. That and most people are badge snobs.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I think it would be beneficial to startup a seperate brand to compete with all the luxury brands. Upscale luxury cars should be sold in a different showroom. Also when I bring in my Hyundia Genesis in for maintenance, I dont want to be given a Hyundia Accent or Kia Rio for my service loaner.

Yea seriously what happened to Acura? They used to make badass cars but they are so behind the curve now I don't really see them coming back

Acura needs to start switching to RWD platforms and fire their design team that has been tarnishing the brand. The vast majority of their luxury/performance luxury competition are RWD or RWD biased AWD platforms. Acura has been selling glorified FWD and FWD-biased AWD Hondas for too long. Why wouldnt I just get a cheaper fully loaded Honda Accord? Yes Infiniti and Lexus are also 'nicer' Nissans and Toyotas too, but at least come on RWD platforms which differentiate themselves from their parent company.

ef_vtak

Power of Dreams
Mar 25, 2009
Acura needs to start switching to RWD platforms and fire their design team that has been tarnishing the brand. The vast majority of their luxury/performance luxury competition are RWD or RWD biased AWD platforms. Acura has been selling glorified FWD and FWD-biased AWD Hondas for too long. Why wouldnt I just get a cheaper fully loaded Honda Accord? Yes Infiniti and Lexus are also 'nicer' Nissans and Toyotas too, but at least come on RWD platforms which differentiate themselves from their parent company.

RL & TL should be RWD or SH-AWD, the new entry ISX is fine as a FWD imo. The bottom market for luxury cars aren't performance oriented anyways and as it sits it should compete well.

In reference to Hyundai, they should really focus on solving their warranty and drivability issues first, then go for a luxury brand. IMO although they are making good moves there quality is not close to the competition yet. Without the lower brands being competitive in quality why would one even look to the upscale brand of same company? The 50oddk Equus stacked up to the competition in that price bracket is a real poor performer.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
^ what do you mean warranty issues? I thought I read that the Genesis (sedan) at least has really good reliability thus far. Plus the car comes with, IIRC, 5 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. And 10 year, 100K powertrain warranty...

That's better than BMW, Lexus, Acura, Infiniti....ect ect

I think it will work out well for Hyundai. I can see them easily picking up marketshare from Acura. The new RDX and ILX are turds.

Yea seriously what happened to Acura? They used to make badass cars but they are so behind the curve now I don't really see them coming back

I think Acura hired some people from Lincoln and then just started changing fasicas and a few interior pieces on Hondas and "tah dah..the new Acura" = fail

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info