đź“° Auto News Dodge Dart to use Hyundai transmission

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Hopefully it's not the transmission that's keeping existing Hyundai products from delivering real-world fuel economy numbers that match the ratings. The rating system has gotten significantly better for a large majority of cars, but some still seem to miss their ratings out on the road and not in a lab.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/19/dodge-dart-to-use-transmission-from-hyundai/

2013-dodge-dart-628.jpg

Hyundai CEO John Krafcik has confirmed that the Korean automaker will supply Chrysler with transmissions for its new Dodge Dart, according to Car and Driver. While the two automakers may seem like odd dance partners, the tie-up makes plenty of sense. Both companies use engines born out of the now-defunct Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance with Mitsubishi. As a result, 2.0- and 2.4-liter four-cylinder engines found in the Dart share more than a few strands of DNA with the same displacement engines found under the hood of vehicles like the Hyundai Sonata. Needless to say, it shouldn't take too much effort to get the Hyundai gearbox and Chrysler engines to play nice.

We say "shouldn't" because according to Car and Driver, the American manufacturer is reportedly having issues getting the transmission properly calibrated to obtain the lofty fuel economy numbers necessary to satiate the powers that be in Washington. Chrysler hasn't confirmed the move as of yet, and Hyundai is keeping its lips sealed on which transmissions are headed to the Dart line. Even so, if Chrysler's engineers are struggling over calibration, chances are it's a six-speed automatic.

So... what about those lofty 40 miles per gallon claims claims Chrysler was bandying about at the Detroit Auto Show? C/D hypothesizes that figure may be reliant on a specific engine and transmission combination, be it turbocharged 1.4-liter turbo four-cylinder and a dual-clutch gearbox or a 2.0 and a six-speed manual. Curiouser and curiouser.

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
I tl;dr'd the text above, but it makes me sad to see bygone car monikers used on newer models that do no justice to the original.

Back in the early 60's Chrysler brought out the original Dart as their bare-bones basic small economy car. In that sense they are keeping with the original moniker. Pontiac did the same when they brought out the GTO which in fact stuck to it's original heritage.

What the car companies sometime's forget is that consumers tend to remember the high performance versions of these historic car names.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
Really? If so, you're my inside source at the plant.

haha i guess so - i did have to sign some public / media thing about leaking information haha

Roger what will you be doing there?

I have to start where everybody does... the assembly line!! which is going to suck because its a major pay cut - but awesome benefits!! I'm hoping to get into the apprentice program for the maint. side of things but I'm sure thats going to take some time.

I have to start where everybody does... the assembly line!! which is going to suck because its a major pay cut - but awesome benefits!! I'm hoping to get into the apprentice program for the maint. side of things but I'm sure thats going to take some time.

:gtfo2:...There are no "legacy" employees in the plant?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Sounds like you'll be pretty busy over there, Rodger. They're prepping for a third shift of sorts.

Crew A will work 6 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Crew B will work 6 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Wednesday through Saturday, and Crew C will work 6 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Monday and Tuesday and then 6 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday.

So workers in Belvidere essentially will work four 10-hour shifts each week.

Chrysler spokeswoman Jodi Tinson confirmed the details of the posting. She said Chrysler's engine plants in Trenton, Mich., and Dundee, Ind., already operate on this schedule.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
Sounds like you'll be pretty busy over there, Rodger. They're prepping for a third shift of sorts.

yeah they kind of explained it a little - i was under the impression it was 1st and second shift though... not 1st and 3rd - this might suck now... oh well I start Feb 6th... most likely on the craptacular jeeps they build. I heard they are only making 1 or 2 darts a day now, mainly for testing purposes and equipment setup. I heard full out production starts june/july - when this new shift setup start... until then I'll be stuck on 2nd shift moswt likely

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
I average 32-34mpg mixed driving in my veloster. Mostly city driving since I'm only on the highway for 15 minutes to get to work everyday.

I have been driving my Accent like I stole it and get around 26-28 mixed. I know the manual 6spd could've been MUCH better on mileage w/my driving IMO

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info