đź“° Auto News Stolen Camaro returned 36 years later

He thought the car was fake after he bought it so he contacted the police? Why did he buy it in the first place then? :ugh:

Lucky lady to get her car bacl all decked out.

The seller could have switched up the VIN number on the dash for an SS Camaro and then the buyer received it and could tell upon further inspection that it was a clone. I don't know what the differences are but there are some and a true enthusiast can tell if it's a fake.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
As Birdman said, the guy probably thought it was a fake/clone SS, but it still looked good and had a solid motor put in it.

EDIT:

The guy also probably thought that only a die-hard car guy would be able to tell the difference. This clone was probably much cheaper than a number's matching SS.

The VIN is stamped in several places on the body of the cars. It would take a lot of work to replace all the stamped body pieces along with the riveted on VIN tag.

I don't know why if he thought the car is fake that he would actually purchase the car. haha

How do you think they probably found out who's car it is? The guy who was selling it probably just changed the VIN tag on the car and nothing else.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
That may be the case. You have to remember even today in some states it is very easy to get a lost title for a car. Stolen or not. The states do no research on the cars. Just issue a new title when it is registered in their state. Although there are only a hand full of states that do that.

But 36 years ago a lot of states did not even have titles like we do today. I am sure you have heard of the term "racing for pink slips". That came from people betting their cars and the "pink slips" as they were called. They were issued as certificates of ownership. And they were pink so that is where the term came from. And back then they were not tracked state to state like they are now a days. I am sure many of the changes over the years were because of theft and the market that supports it. For parts as well as complete cars with a VIN change.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
That is not correct. Trust me. There are "hidden VINs" on them. And there is no door sticker on them with the VIN number. The 67 Camaro does not have a VIN on the dash. It is riveted in the door jamb. The 68-9 have them riveted on the dash.

Example of a "hidden VIN" stamped

68tag004.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I have owned/own many first gen Camaros. I also run a company that deals with them all day.

It is not a full VIN. It is just the Year, plant and sequential VIN number. The first part of the VIN is body style and such. So not necessary to have the full number. The sequential number is all that is needed. You can research it on your own and see the number is stamped under the blower motor housing or A/C box, under the cowl panel and drive shaft tunnel.

Original paint 69 SS L-78 car.
DSCN3155.jpg

DSCN0153.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info