đź“° Auto News Report: Holden Commodore coming to U.S. as Chevrolet SS sedan?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
here we go again :rofl:
With General Motors' cash flow back to reasonable levels, the company is re-evaluating its position on Australian-built Zeta rockets like the Holden Commodore. The last one we had on our shores was the much-lamented Pontiac G8, which was essentially a Commodore with a new set of badges.

With the success of the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro, GM has reportedly okay'd the development of a new Zeta sedan for the American market. According to reports, it's slated to debut in early 2013 as a 2014 model, concurrent with the introduction of the redesigned Holden Commodore. Particular details, such as engine size, transmission options and horsepower figures are as yet unavailable. That said, a pushrod small block in the neighborhood of 430 horsepower probably isn't too far off the mark.

The rumor gets juicier, and a tad more unbelievable, with the revelation that a sport wagon and Ute version of the car are coming as well. The ute, if it happens, will debut around the same time as the sedan, with the sport wagon arriving later in 2013.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
The Aussie re-badge experiment has failed twice, maybe a bowtie will help. Who knows? Hopefully it comes over with an LS3 and L99 and is only offered as a performance model. I think the only was for it to be successful is by being a niche car.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
It's funny because I think the G8 was what people wanted, but now that Pontiac is defunct everyone wants to criticize it. GM has been giving us crappy fwd sedans with truck engines and when a rwd v8 sedan came out it was the answer to the direction GM should go in. Granted it's a rebadged Holden. To bad the economy wasn't in a position to welcome it. It's a matter of right product at the wrong time in my opinion.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
It's a matter of right product at the wrong time in my opinion.

:werd:

They introduced it in the middle of an economic crisis with $4 per gallon gasoline and 15 mpg city ratings.

I loved that car from the first time I got in it. Still want one badly, and after driving blakbearddelite's tuned and intake'd car I now really really want one.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
well well well

ChevyCaprice.jpg

Yesterday, Magrath checked his calendar to find it was indeed time to re-blog the biannual "Holdens Coming to the U.S." rumor mill. Something about the prospect of a Chevy Maloo just makes him all fizzy.

But lo and behold, eight hours later, our crack in-house spy photo team (aka, me driving home with a camera) captured this Chevy Caprice roaming Los Angeles. Coincidence? I think not. Michigan plates, no cop paraphernalia. Oh, and those snazzy plastic wheel covers are just there to throw us off the scent.

Maybe it's just a plain-clothes prototype for the LAPD, or maybe that rumor mill was really onto something. Hmm, let's just go with the latter.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Looks like a Caprice, and knowing the police car is the same thing then I bet this is just a non-patrol car for someone higher up in the police ranks.

As a Holden it's called the Caprice too.

attachment.php

Though I would understand if they sold it over here as a Caprice to fill a void by the Impala. Old people don't like change too much.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I love my G8 but I have to admit the rear view does look a little boring. On the other hand the side and front view are very sexy!

I'll agree with that. The rear could use some sportiness to it. I think the GXP diffuser makes it look nicer.

I can't wait to get my ghetto winter wheels off this car!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info