Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
ats630.jpg

Cadillac has made it clear it plans to enter the rarified air generally reserved for such finely tuned machinery as the BMW 3 Series, Audi A4 and Mercedes-Benz C-Class with the same verve and gusto it's done with its CTS. And the vehicle it hopes will earn them entrance into the hotly contested market is the upcoming ATS.

We know General Motors will attack the small end of the premium market with a multi-tiered approach, including engines packing four, six or eight cylinders. A new document that surfaced on Cheers & Gears seems to indicate just such an approach, culminating in a fire-breathing ATS-V with a 6.2-liter pushrod V8 engine sending 470 horsepower and 438 pound-feet of torque through either a six-speed automatic or manual gearbox.

Moving down a notch will reportedly get you the same 3.6-liter direct injected V6 engine that powers the bulk of Caddy's CTS models; 330 horses and 280 lb-ft will be routed through an eight-speed automatic transmission. According to the supposed spec sheet, that combo should net 20 miles per gallon in the city and 30 on the highway using regular-grade gas.

Finally, the rumormill swirls with talk that a turbocharged four cylinder displacing 2.0 liters and putting out 270 horsepower and 250 lb-ft will serve as the base engine for the ATS, mated up to an eight-speed automatic. Naturally, that combo will serve as the fuel mileage leader, managing an estimated 22 city/32 highway rating, though it's likely to require premium gas.

Certainly, all of this information is to be taken with a suitably sized grain of salt (mayhaps the whole shaker?), but it is in line with what we've been hearing for the last year or so. In any case, we ought to find out all the details in due time – Cadillac's ATS is expected to hit the market no later than the latter half of 2013 as a 2014 model.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
The base Vette will get a 5.5L but there have been rumors that the Z06 equivalent may get a 6.2. The architecture is there with the L99, they need to adapt DI to the engine. I'm sure a 6.2 GenV will be available in HD trucks. Suposedly all GenV engines will be aluminum block to keep weight down.

Either way 470HP in a coupe less than 3500lbs. will be interesting. Weight is a huge factor with the upcoming Alpha platform.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The base Vette will get a 5.5L but there have been rumors that the Z06 equivalent may get a 6.2. The architecture is there with the L99, they need to adapt DI to the engine. I'm sure a 6.2 GenV will be available in HD trucks. Suposedly all GenV engines will be aluminum block to keep weight down.

Either way 470HP in a coupe less than 3500lbs. will be interesting. Weight is a huge factor with the upcoming Alpha platform.

Why would they put the truck small block in the Caddy? I'd say they'd put the 5.5L in this car.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
What is the difference between a truck block and a performance car block other than what it's made out of??? They put a 6.2 in the Caddy Escalade right now and that's the same block in the CTS-V, Vette and Camaro. What I'm saying is there will probably be a GenV 6.2 for trucks and if they make all the GenV block aluminum I don't see why there wouldn't be a 6.2 for performance cars with different heads, cam an intake but still have DI, DOD and VVT.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
What is the difference between a truck block and a performance car block other than what it's made out of??? They put a 6.2 in the Caddy Escalade right now and that's the same block in the CTS-V, Vette and Camaro. What I'm saying is there will probably be a GenV 6.2 for trucks and if they make all the GenV block aluminum I don't see why there wouldn't be a 6.2 for performance cars with different heads, cam an intake but still have DI, DOD and VVT.

I wasn’t talking about the block. It seems logical that if the 5.5L is destined for the C7 (which historically will make its way to the Carmaro) that the Caddy will use that engine. I can see the truck/SUV’s using the 6.2L which as you mentioned will be tuned for torque for towing.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
The Z06 uses a 7.0L engine where the base vette uses the 6.2L. I'm sure the base C7 will get a 5.5L as well as the Camaro but a higher model Vette like a Z06 could get a 6.2L GenV as could the ATS-V. There going to need more than a base Vette motor to take on the Germans, like the LSA in the CTS-V. If the CTS-V has a base LS3 it wouldn't be nearly as impressive.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The Z06 uses a 7.0L engine where the base vette uses the 6.2L. I'm sure the base C7 will get a 5.5L as well as the Camaro but a higher model Vette like a Z06 could get a 6.2L GenV as could the ATS-V. There going to need more than a base Vette motor to take on the Germans, like the LSA in the CTS-V. If the CTS-V has a base LS3 it wouldn't be nearly as impressive.

I am sure that the Z06 will have a bigger displacement motor with more HP.

The “A” series though is the entry level Caddy. It’s competitors listed are the A4, 3 series, and C-Class. It appears that GM is going to move the CTS up to truly compete against the 5 series, E class, A6. The 5.5L V8 in the ATS-V would trump both the M3 and IS-F in hp by quite a bit. Who know though? GM still hasn’t figured out Cadillac’s product hierarchy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info